Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

corrupt dwg, doc etc on server

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bf
Advocate
384 Views, 9 Replies

corrupt dwg, doc etc on server

I tried to open a dwg from an old server and got the "Drawing file is invalid".  I read many discussions on this.  I've tried to recover and open in TrueView with no success.  A couple of posts said to drag a dwg into Notepad and if the first line began with AC and some numbers it's a good file.  I did this with a nonvalid dwg and oriental characters appeared.  A good dwg had the AC... and normal looking "garbage".  Has anyone come across the oriental character situation with invalid files?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jay_B
in reply to: bf

Have you tried inserting it as a block into a new dwt and explode after insert?
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 10
bf
Advocate
in reply to: Jay_B

Yes I have tried to insert into a new drawing with no success.

Message 4 of 10
Jay_B

If you have access to Microstation give that a try. I've had it work on occasion where AutoCad couldn't open a file.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 10
pendean

These other AutoCAD-like freeware programs will also, occasionally, open a DWG file that AutoCAD will not.
Message 6 of 10
bf
Advocate

I'll give it a whirl if I can find a microstation user to try it.  I really need some heavy hitters who can look at a dwg from different angles and determine what happened to it.  Many files are this way.

Message 7 of 10
pendean

Post one here: but honestly, it sounds like you folks had a disastrous HD failure.
Message 8 of 10
bf
Advocate
in reply to: pendean

Here is one of the drawings.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
Jay_B

FWIW, Microstation V8i returns the error File Path\Cad.dwg is not in a recognized file format.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 10
bf
Advocate

thats what I feared.  I don't have much hope for any recovery.  Keeping my fingers crossed though.  Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report