Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrifor Surface Holes Why?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
gnewland
842 Views, 11 Replies

Corrifor Surface Holes Why?

I have a roadway corridor and a surface created from that corridor. After I rebuild the corridor I rebuild the surface. Whenever I rebuild the surface I get holes in it. Please look at the attached jpeg. Right now I go to the holes, add a point, then delete the point and the surface is then correct. Why does this happen and how can I fix the problem. Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
BrianHailey
in reply to: gnewland

Just speculating here...

Could you have set a maximum triangle length?

Brian

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 12
gnewland

I just checked and I am not.
Message 4 of 12
gnewland

Does anybody else have this problem?
Message 5 of 12
BrianHailey

You may get more answers if you post your drawing.

Brian

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 12
gnewland

It is a rather large drawing (15-20 meg) and I have come across this problem on several other drawings.
Message 7 of 12
erogers

This happens to me frequently as well. It is particularly disturbing because if a section line passes through a hole, no areas or volumes will be calculated for that section until the holes are repaired.

This problem is axacerbated by the fact that surface editing is so cumbersome in Civil 3D. If you have a 4 sided hole, just add a line, but if you have a 3 sided hole, you must delete one line and then put it back. If you have a five sided hole, you can add a line, which will actually add 2 lines, leaving you with a 3 sided hole, so you have to delete one of the lines that it took the liberty of adding, then add it back again.

Has anyone had anymore thoughts on this issue?
Message 8 of 12
gnewland

I still get this problem, but its hit and miss. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I result to fixing them they way you listed or on a 3 sided hole I will add a point and then delete it.
Message 9 of 12
mooremt1

Check to see if you have overlapping corridor modeling segments, that was screwing me up on corridors for a while. For example if you have a half typical section running for a portion of a corridor (for an intersection or transition or something like that) make sure the start and stop stations of that section are correct and not running longer than necessary (the end of one region is the beginning of another and vice versa)
Message 10 of 12
sboon

Some other things to try:
- If you are building the surface from links, try using feature lines instead.
- Turn on the "Add as Breakline" checkbox when adding surface data from the corridor.
- Change the sampling interval and see if that helps.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 12
merci.martin

Hi there,

I have no idea why holes occur or how to prevent it but I thought I'd just let you know that your tip on adding points then deleting them to fix the holes was great! Sorry I couldn't be more help but but you definitely helped me save some time.

Cheers Smiley Wink

@gnewland wrote:
I have a roadway corridor and a surface created from that corridor. After I rebuild the corridor I rebuild the surface. Whenever I rebuild the surface I get holes in it. Please look at the attached jpeg. Right now I go to the holes, add a point, then delete the point and the surface is then correct. Why does this happen and how can I fix the problem. Thanks.

Message 12 of 12
Dexterel
in reply to: merci.martin

think you made some edits on this surface.

Make sure you are creating this surface just from corridor definition, see attached image

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report