Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridors and Transitioning Medians, Meandering Sidewalks, and Driveways

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Steenix
1038 Views, 5 Replies

Corridors and Transitioning Medians, Meandering Sidewalks, and Driveways

I have a road with a median that transitions to create left-turn pockets, driveways, and a meandering sidewalk. I have been learning about targeting offset alignments and marked points. I feel I have a basic understanding of each component individually but I am unsure whether it will be possible/practical to try and combine all of these features into a single corridor?

Sorry for the ugly attached image, but hopefully it helps clear up my situation.

Also, I am working in Civil 3D 2012.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: Steenix

Medians and driveways can be awkward, but the road edge and sidewalk are a piece of cake in a single corridor once you understand targets.

Not that placing a median in a separate corridor will help, if you're going to model a median it generally needs to be in the same corridor as your lanes.

A lot of users don't bother to model driveways at all. Often it's not important to model the corridor to the nth degree like that. It's sometime just not worth the effort and complexity. However, if you use the conditional horizontal target subassembly, it can make driveways easier to model.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 6
Steenix
in reply to: mathewkol

Great, thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time on trying to do this only to discover later that there's too much going on.

As far as medians go, would you recommend just building a corridor without them and adding them in with feature lines later? I've read using feature lines on corridor surfaces may not be a great idea, but I've never heard why.

Message 4 of 6
sboon

There are several methods for creating raised medians.  Here's one of them.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 6
fcernst

...As far as medians go, would you recommend just building a corridor without them and adding them in with feature lines later? I've read using feature lines on corridor surfaces may not be a great idea, but I've never heard why...

Right, that is not the correct, nor elegant way to model medians in Civil 3D.

Invest in yourself and spend some time to learn how to use the stock Median subassemblies, and model Medians the way they were intended to be modeled by the Civil 3d software architects.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 6
mathewkol

Like Fred says, the "right" way is to use the subassemblies provided. Know that when the median crosses the centre line, weirdness ensues for a little bit. And it's also a little weird when your median ends near your intersections. Weird, but doable.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report