Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Surface Not Using Correct Subassembly Point

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Grimes_MG
1843 Views, 5 Replies

Corridor Surface Not Using Correct Subassembly Point

I have created a new assembly that uses a HMA dike rather than your typical curb but my surface always begins at the top of the HMA pavement rather than the top of the curb subassembly. See Picture. Where's the setting to fix this (is it a daylight setting) or it is a bigger problem in that I didn't create the subassembly or assembly correct to begin with?

Win7 (x64), EVGA 790i, 8GB RAM, EVGA 8800GT, 250 GB iSSHDD, & RAID 0/1
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sboon
in reply to: Grimes_MG

It's not clear in your picture what is happening with the top surface you're trying to create.  When you created the surface and added data in the corridor properties dialog did you set the Overhang Correction to Top links?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 6
Grimes_MG
in reply to: sboon

Hi Steve,

Yes, I've set the "Overhang Correction" option to "Top Links" under the Corridor Properties' Surface tab.

The magenta line is the FG Surface that is being built by following the Corridor pavement FG and then there's a Feature Line off to the side that the Surface TIN is generating triangles to connect. What I don't understand is why the magenta line, after it rises up and along the top of the dike, it doesn't project away from the TOC-BOC. Instead, the FG Surface travels down the BOC to the bottom of the back of curb before jumping off. I understand there's a Link there and a Point (subassembly entities), so is that forcing the FG? Does the subassembly's Links & Points force the path of the surface creation?

Message 4 of 6
sboon

I understand there's a Link there and a Point (subassembly entities), so is that forcing the FG? Does the subassembly's Links & Points force the path of the surface creation?

If you have added links with a "Top" code to your surface then the software is going to use any link within all of your subassemblies which includes that code.  TIN points will be created at the ends of each of those links.  Note - this means that the surface triangles might not follow your section as expected, turning on the Add as Breakline option usually fixes this issue.  If two points, or a point and a breakline are at the same x,y then the overhang correction setting is used to choose one of them.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 6
Grimes_MG
in reply to: sboon

So what would you suggest I code the outside road edge as (the edge of the pavement that the bottom of the back of the dike is sitting on)?

Here's the kicker. On one side of the road, I want the FG to attach to the TOC-BOC but on the other side of the road I need it so attach to the bottom of the BOC. Think hillside road design. The in-sloe side (uphill) should attatch to the top of the dike while the out-slope side matches the bottom of the dike.

If I set my "Back_Curb" code to "Uncoded", then both dikes assemblies will be set like that and I'll have both the in-slope and out-slope dikes' FG attaching to the TOP-BOC. I've tried adding a "DayLight" line, to the assemply where I want it (TOC-BOC for the in-slope and bottom of BOC for the out-side) but the FG doesn't follow it.

Message 6 of 6
sboon

I've attached a drawing showing a possible solution here.

What I did was apply the Top link code to the front and top of the curb.  I then attached two Conditional subassemblies to the back of that curb to control the daylighting behaviour.  If the curb is below EG then a cut slope is used, otherwise a generic link with a Top code is used to move down to the edge of pavement and then a fill slope is used.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report