Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Surface Issue

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
5577 Views, 13 Replies

Corridor Surface Issue

Greetings All,

I have an intersection, from which I have created corridor surfaces called "Top of Corridor" and a "Subgrade" surfaces. I have all my assemblies coded properly for Top, Datum, Daylight, Hinge, Crown, etc. etc. for all critical points. 

My Top of Corridor surface looks just like it should, transitions from normal crown up, yada yada yada.

My Subgrade surface is screwy. For part of the intersection, it's like it has holes in the surface.

Like I say, I've checked my assemblies. Everything is coded, no issues, my profile is correct.

What I put into the corridor surfaces is as follows:

Top of Corridor:

Top Links

Daylight Links

Overhang Correction: Top Links

Subgrade:

Datum Links

Hinge Feature Line

Daylight Links

Overhang Correction: Bottom Links

Anybody have any ideas as to why it is not correct?

I've tried switching the surface to Contours and Triangles, and manually editing the triangles, but there's only so much I can do without ruining the TIN's accuracy.

What is wrong?

A picture is attached.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

The problem has to be in the source data for the surface, somewhere in the corridor you have sections with bad elevations due to missing profile data, unable to find targets, or something like that.

Try to look at the corridor model in 3d view, especially along the centerline to see if you can find the offending sections.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

No, that isn't the issue.

I've checked my profiles. They tie to each other perfectly. 

It can't be my subassemblies, because they are properly coded.

One lane is fine. It's when it crosses the crown, it does not stick to the datum link anymore (at least thats what it seems like to me).

Any ideas?

I checked in 3D, dont see anything weird hapening. No gaping hole/giant mountain at the intersection. I'm at a loss.

Another pic is attached.

Thanks,

-owenmull

Message 4 of 14
sboon

You have the Datum links in your surface - is the Add as Breakline option checked on?

Can you post the drawing?

Can you post the same picture with the corridor links turned on?

Can you post the same picture with the surface triangles turned on?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

No, Datum Links are not added as breaklines.

Here are pics.

-owenmull

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

Posting a 3d view of the problem area would be very helpful.

Message 7 of 14
sboon

OK now we're getting somewhere.

The links projected from your curb returns don't match the elevations projected from the centerline of Topaz Ave.  It looks like you have used an alignment as a target so that they match horizontally.  I assume that you also used a profile to ensure they tie in vertically.

In the OP you said that the Top surface looks good - is it possible that the assemblies used for the curb returns have a different structure thickness than the main road?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

I checked my curb returns. They are the same thickness. Both roads have 3" Pave1 and 6" Base. I have custom curb assemblies I made myself, but that shouldn't matter. I had to build all the assemblies myself, as this is a unique roadway, and couldn't get the default Cadd ones to oblige.

Does it have something to do with my curb return assemblies? I used one I made, and modified a default one from Autocadd (to match my depth parameters) and still no avail.

I'll post a 3D pic, not entirely sure what you're looking for, but here goes.

Thank you for your continued help.

-owenmull

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Here's a pic of the Assemblies I used for Curb Return.

Are these right?

They match the little drawing in the "recreate corridor regions" dialog box anyway.

-owenmull

Message 10 of 14
sboon

What I'm looking for is to make sure that the thickness of the curb return assemblies that you edited matches the thickness of the main road assembly.

Clipboard01.png

Clipboard02.png

The only other thing I can suggest is that you go back and check your targeting again.  The attached tutorial drawing from Autodesk shows what can happen when ONE target in ONE curb return is not set correctly.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Upon closer inspection, it appears that the depths of a curb return fillet wre indeed incorrect. This, more or less, cleared up the issue on the main N-S road. The only thing I am seeing that is wrong is the sidewalk sections within the fillets.

I have a +2.00% side slope on the side walk (+2.00% from in to out) and a daylight. I wonder why it's not right there.

Pic attached.

Thanks guys.

-owenmull

Message 12 of 14
wfberry

It appears to me that sometime earlier you may have run the smooth contours command.  You need to remove it now because the "added points" are still be used.

Bill

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: wfberry

I saw somewhere something about surface smoothing, and ran a couple commands. How do I remove it?

-owenmull

Message 14 of 14
sboon

Open the Properties dialog for that surface and switch to the Definition tab.  You should see your edits on the list.

Another thing would be to increase the corridor frequency for those two regions.  You may be able to see better what is going on.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report