Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Corridor surface building where there is no corridor

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bryan
1576 Views, 8 Replies

Corridor surface building where there is no corridor

I have a corridor with gaps in between the regions where the intersections are. If I turn off all the intersection regions and rebuild my corridor, surfaces still bridge these gaps where there are no regions. Why would a surface exist where there is no corridor? Why are the surfaces bridging these gaps?

crs.jpg

csg.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: bryan

Your corridor surface is still just a surface with point data in it. So it knows there are points on either side of that interection, but it has no way of knowing that it shouldn't connect those points in the TIN.

Set your surface definition Build options to use Maximum Trianle Length and specify a value that will prevent ging through the intersection:

8-25-2014 1-00-58 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 9
neilyj666
in reply to: Jeff_M

Or you can draw a poIyline and add as a hide boundary to the surface definition

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 9

Or you can go into corridor properties, boundaries tab and add corridor extents as outer boundary.  This way the surface will not extend past the limits of the corridor.

Hope this helps!

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 5 of 9
bryan

I can't really put a boundary in the middle of a corridor when I need it to be one surface. Maybe this will clarify.

What intersection region looks like by itself:

int.jpg

What happens when all regions turned on:

mess.jpg

Why do the two corridor regions left and right blow right through the intersection? 

Message 6 of 9
brian.strandberg

Why don't you post the drawing?  I believe the idea I suggested will work.  Adding the boundary to the corridor properties does not restrict the surface from building there, just the corridor from building there.  

Hope this helps

I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 7 of 9
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

Why do the two corridor regions left and right blow right through the intersection? 

I've looked at your screenshots and don't believe it does.  The points and triangles are still there which is the really important part.

I too would like to see your dwg file.  Because it looks like the surface has been edited to flip/delete some triangles.

The way C3D does a surface is to connect triangles between three points and it normally connects the three NEAREST points (including points ALONG a breakline).  Then at elevation X along each side of a triangle, it draws a contour at elevation X.

So the question in my mind is why does C3D bypass the centerline points and instead triangulate to points that are NOT the nearest points?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 9
doni49
in reply to: doni49

Take a look at the attached screenshot.

BrysullTriangles.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 9 of 9
MikeEvansUK

Reading your problem I think I can tell what's happening but can you clarify some things first please.

The behaveour you are having seems to sudgest a couple of things:

1. You have two seporate corridors one for the road and a second one for the Junction model. Is this correct?
  2. The two seporate corridors have seporate surfaces defigned?
  3. Either one of the surfaces has been added to the other as a pasted edit or both as a pasted edit into a seporate combined surface model?

If any of the above is correct then this is behaving exactly as expected.

The main road corridor has the gap between the two regions, the surface will triangulate between these regions (horizontally like in the image) .

I would expect that this model has been pasted in after (below) the junction. Thus the horizontal triangles are hiding the correct trianglulation in the second model.

There are a number of ways to clean this up.

• Add a manual surface boundary in a hide condition to the surface from the Main Corridor as stated previously by others.
  • Manually Delete the triangles in this region using surface edits.
  • Ensure that the surfaces are pasted in the correct order, Main corridor should be pasted into the surface first (at the top level).

My best advice is to remove the main road section from the junction model ending the junction model at the channel line (edge of road) then add the road element into the main corridor model terminating at the same channel line across the junction (i use conditional assemblies for the elimination of the footway) then the surfaces will be seamless when seporate or pasted.

M

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Ā 

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Ā