Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Superelevation

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
459 Views, 5 Replies

Corridor Superelevation

Does anyone know how to get the generic links to follow the superelevation of a roadway? In order to model an urban intersection, with left turn lanes, I have had to use "link offsets"; however, these do not seem to be able to follow the superelevation like the lane assemblies. Before anyone suggests that I use multiple vertical alignments to control my lanes, I have tried this and it is virtually impossible to do this within a vertical curve where only the right lane (of a 4-lane divided roadway)is being superelevated to warp into the intersection. Does 2008 have generic links that are "smart" enough to follow the superelevation like the lane assemblies? I have also tried to edit the corridor sections (via view/edit corridor sections) and this seems to work to update the surface, but when I cut cross sections, the corridor portion of the section does not represent the edits that were performed. I thought this was supposed to be dynamic? Why dont the edits of the corridor show up in the cross sections? Any advice would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tscheevel
in reply to: Anonymous

You can't superelevate generic links.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

Is there a way of CREATING a "generic" link that will follow the superelevation? Without the ability it is impossible to properly model a divided roadway, with turn lanes, that are in a super transition. Doesnt anyone out there actually design urban roadways, with divided medians, turn lanes, and warp sections?
Message 4 of 6
sboon

Never say that it is impossible to model something in Civil3D with a corridor. If you can post a typical section showing what you are trying to do I may be able to help.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 6
tscheevel

I had some more time to think about your challenge last night. Creating a generic link to follow superelevation would require you to code it in VBA.
One simpler approach you might try is to use one of the lane subassemblies that can be superelevated. Set depths of all layers except subbase to zero. Set subbase depth to a very small amount (.001' if you are in imperial units). I don't think it will work if you set all layers to zero. That should give you something similar to a generic link that can superelevate.
If you have to have a generic link, you might consider starting by building the corridor with an assembly that uses the lane subassembly. Then extract an alignment and profile from the corridor feature line at the outside of the superelevated lane. (that alignment and profile will not be dynamic) Then swap assemblies to one built with generic links and use the extracted alignment and profile to control the outer edge of the generic link.
Message 6 of 6
cadtown

The work around you described reminds me of the phrase in another posting I saw on this discussion group: "It is a Rube Goldberg invention, giving us overly elaborate ways to kill a fly, or unbelievable workarounds to perform simple tasks". This is not too much different from my initial impression of subassembly: "I feel like I am hitting the nail with a million-dollar high-tech machine where I can grab a $10 hammer to do the same job !".

What we need is one global solution which directly answers all X-Section/Subassembly issues once for all. Whatever can not be handled through the global X-Section Editor (due to some exceptional complexity) may then be customized through programming - that's the way I saw and still see it !

Feel free to visit & download Section3D from the following link:

http://www.cadtown.com

At least you will see the sign of my struggle to find that global solution.

Peter,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report