Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Not Connecting Feature Lines

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Cadguru42
847 Views, 14 Replies

Corridor Not Connecting Feature Lines

2014_corridor_not_connecting_feature_lines.png

As you can see above, where the red circle is the curb, sidewalk, and daylight just refuse to connect between four of the corridor sections. All four of these sections are in the same region. The problem seems to be that C3D refuses to recognize the offset assembly once it's alignment begins a curve, marked in the image at station 19+75.73. Luckily I don't have to make a cross section at this station, but it's bothersome that the offset assembly inside a region just stops working. The region after this one also has an offset assembly and has no issue. 

What's going on? Why does the offset assembly just stop working when the alignment the offset is based on is a tangent then a curve? This is in 2014, btw.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Cadguru42

Does this fix it self if you start the region very slightly (.1 units) on the tangent vs the begining of curve?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Cadguru42
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@jmayo wrote:

Does this fix it self if you start the region very slightly (.1 units) on the tangent vs the begining of curve?

The region does not start on the curve. It starts 40.73' before the curve. That's what so strange about this. I did try beginning the region 0.01' after the previous region and it still results in the offset assembly not working at the curve. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 15
fcernst

The problem seems to be that C3D refuses to recognize the offset assembly once it's alignment begins a curve

What's the curve frequency?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 5 of 15
Cadguru42
in reply to: fcernst

@fcernst wrote:

The problem seems to be that C3D refuses to recognize the offset assembly once it's alignment begins a curve

What's the curve frequency?

Curve frequency is set to 10'. There are three corridor sections that the offset assembly doesn't show up on. The curve starts at 19+75.73, the next three sections are 19+84.31, 19+85, and the end of the region at 19+86.74. For this region, the length of the curve is 11.01'.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 15
fcernst

Is the main alignment in tangent or curve?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 15
Cadguru42

@fcernst wrote:

Is the main alignment in tangent or curve?

The main alignment is a tangent for this region as well as the next one.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 15
fcernst

Lower the tangent frequency to one 1' and see what happens.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 15
Cadguru42

@fcernst wrote:

Lower the tangent frequency to one 1' and see what happens.

Here's what it did. It still doesn't create the offset.

2014_corridor_not_connecting_feature_lines2.png

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 15
fcernst

Can you offer the drawing for inspection?

2015 has more corridor Offset controls:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 15
Cadguru42

@fcernst wrote:

Can you offer the drawing for inspection?

2015 has more corridor Offset controls:

I can't upload it. However, Autodesk started a SR for this and I've given them the drawing(s). He was able to reproduce it, but it seems that either the corridor region is corrupt, the assembly for that region is corrupt, or the entire corridor is corrupt. Tomorrow when I get more time I'm going to try recreating the region. If that doesn't work, I'm going to recreate the assembly. If that doesn't work, I'm going to create a new corridor that's just in that region and see what happens. If none of those work, then the drawing itself is most likely corrupted. 

I'm not going to let C3D 2015 touch this drawing or project. I've already had enough issues with 2015 corrupting survey databases, alignments with profiles, and other issues. This project is currently being constructed and I can't afford to screw this one up. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 12 of 15
fcernst

I would actually delete the Corridor first and try a new one as Step 1 in debugging.

Make sure Regions aren't overlapping also. Here's what happens in 2015 when I overlap regions:

Capture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 15
Cadguru42

@fcernst wrote:

I would actually delete the Corridor first and try a new one as Step 1 in debugging.

Make sure Regions aren't overlapping also. Here's what happens in 2015 when I overlap regions:

Capture2.JPG

I know my region doesn't overlap any of the adjoining regions because I left a small gap between them. I didn't even think you could have overlapping regions as I usually get an error if it's tried.

As for deleting the corridor and redoing it, this is a very large corridor. It's got 8 baselines and 34 regions that'd take me more than a day to redo the frequencies, the targets and the regions as well as the manual superelevations for the last 250+ feet. If this was a newer project that wasn't currently under construction I'd probably do that as a last resort.

2014_corridor_not_connecting_feature_lines_properties.png

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 14 of 15
fcernst

Overlapping regions won't crash the drawing.  I demonstrated how they can make the Offset assembly subassembly suddenly disappear.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 15 of 15
Cadguru42

@fcernst wrote:

Overlapping regions won't crash the drawing.  I demonstrated how they can make the Offset assembly subassembly suddenly disappear.

Not a fatal error, a dialog box stating that it can't be done. However, when I tried doing it in 2014 I don't get the error, but the next region automatically adjusts its station. This didn't used to happen. But even when I make the adjacent regions 1' away from this problem one, the issue still happens. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report