Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor multi surface/multi variable assembly

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
bfraser2278
918 Views, 10 Replies

Corridor multi surface/multi variable assembly

I am trying to get an assembly created for my road project, I have variable fills and cuts that daylight to different surfaces. I see that the daylight rock cut should work but how do i get the variable fills included. Also my ditch width will be variable also and linked to the height of rock cuts. it is also on an allignment with superelevations

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
doni49
in reply to: bfraser2278

Sketch a section to show us what you want it to look like and include info as to how it should make decisions. It works really well to sketch it out in academic and take a screenshot for posting.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 11
bfraser2278

i have attached the typical cross section that i am working with in pdf form. i believe that i will need to segment my corridor in a few spots and apply additional assemblies for specific areas. I am relativly new to civil 3D and i currently am the only one in my office trying to use corridors for our quantity takeoffs so i have limited resources for help, anything you can help with is appreciated. I also am currently reinstalling civil so i can add the subassembly composer that i did not previously include

Message 4 of 11
sboon

I have built assemblies for this scenario several times.  The most important issue for you right now is working out the logic of the decision tree you will need.  Are you changing the slope of the gravel structure for fills over 4m or can you use the 3/1 slope for all of the road structure and just change the subgrade fill slope?

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 11
bfraser2278
in reply to: sboon

i will be changing the slope from 3:1 to 2:1 in fills over 4m.
Message 6 of 11
sboon

OK, that adds an extra layer of complexity but can be done.  The first thing you'll need is a lane subassembly - LaneSuperelevationAOR is a good one for this.  The next thing you need is a series of decisions.

• Is the shoulder in fill or cut.  If it is in fill then is the height greater or less than 4m.  Depending on this answer you'll be adding the appropriate shoulder and daylight subassemblies.
  • If the shoulder is in cut then you can add the shoulder subassembly for that condition, then start another set of decisions.  

• If the outside edge of the ditch is above the rock surface then use a daylight subassembly with parameters for the earth ditch.
  • If it's below the rock surface then there will be a third series of tests for various depths of rock.  Each one will have its own ditch and daylight sub attached to complete the section.

I don't have time to build the entire assembly tonight, but you can see below how I've started adding the subassemblies for the fill scenario.  Please note, the conditional subs display as a slope but the test is measured vertically from the insertion point.  The way to move the test to the correct location for what you need is to attach it then move it horizontally.  The shoulder subassemblies which will be processed if the test passes are shifted in the opposite direction so that they will actually be at the edge of the lane.

Clipboard01.png

Try building your own copy of this assembly, with the correct thicknesses and widths for your design.  Let it run in a corridor to confirm that it works correctly for the fills.  I'll try to get back to this tomorrow and finish the explanation for cuts, or perhaps someone else will get to it before I do.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 11
bfraser2278

This was great help, i believe that i have the fill scenario working well now i am moving on to the cuts. Thanks again, any advice moving forward will help even further.
Message 8 of 11
sboon

I was about to start answering but I just noticed that your typical section has a different shoulder for earth cut than it does for rock.  Why would you include a barrier on one but not the other?  The height to the ditch bottom is the same for both.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 11
bfraser2278

seems a bit odd to me also. I am only buidling a subgrade corridor for mass quantities so I am really only concerned with the sugrade and bottom of the 600mm undercut.my profile information was built to centerline-top of subgrade. 

Message 10 of 11
sboon

OK then here is the cut portion of the assembly, based on my interpretation of your typical section.

Clipboard01.png

Starting from the initial test at the lane edge to ensure that point is below EG, the next two tests are to determine if that point is above or below the rock surface.  If the lane edge is above rock then the appropriate shoulder and daylight is added.  Please note - it is possible that the ditch will be in rock, you may have to move the testing point out to the bottom of ditch similar to what we did for the fill scenario.

If the lane edge is below the rock surface then the shoulder and ditch foreslope is added.  The final three tests determine the depth of rock cut and the appropriate ditch widths and cut slopes are added to that.

Obviously this is a simplified example.  I haven't put much effort into making sure that all of the dimensions and depths are correct but you should be able to see the intent.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 11
bfraser2278

That looks great, i think i will be able to move ahead with this now.Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report