Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Modeling Question

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
david.dixon
1597 Views, 16 Replies

Corridor Modeling Question

I have a basic common Corridor modeling problem that I just can't seem to get past.  So I am asking for help here.

I am working with a roadway section, right side only. On the right of this assembly, we have 12' lane at 2% cross-slope and 6% longitudinal grade, then 3' min wide shoulder at minimum cross slope 5% and max cross slope at 3:1, then a 10' bike path with 2% cross slope but a 5% longitudinal grade, then regular daylighting.

As the stationing increases, the bike path begins to diverge away from the road lane when the 3:1 max. threshold is reached for the 3' shoulder.  The 3' shoulder begins to then increase in width to hold the 3:1 slope after this.  To complicate things just a bit, the alignment is along a curve, then reverse curve, but this us really not my issue.  I am having trouble trying to get this assembly to "stretch" using the "BasicLaneTransition" SA or any SA for that matter.

I have the center of road (6% grade) and inside edge of bike path (5% grade) profiled and have targeted the bike path profile in my Corridor.  I don't think I can target a horizontal alignment for the edge of bike path since that will be variable when 3:1 threshold is reached.  The "BasicLaneTransition" SA seems to hold the "Default Width" of 3.0' when I target the horizontal alignment. I have tried all of the Transition types within this SA with no success too.  I want the model to determine the bike path edge for me.

Any thoughts?  Any help would be greatly appreciated and a free drink might be in order at this year's AU if you can guide me in the right direction :).  Civil 3D 2011 update 2 being used in this case.  I can post screen caps if needed.

Thanks in advance,

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Dave,

A couple of pictures of the cross section at a couple of different stations would help me. This might be a interesting SAC problem for the section between the road and the bike path, but generic links might do the trick.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 17

Yes Peter, I will post the screen caps.  I tried "LinkSlopetoElevation" and that one seems to help.  At least it follows the profile elevation, but there seems to be no way to maintain the 3' min offset as seen towards the end of the alignment (see plan shot).

When I use the "LinkSlopetoElevation" SA and give it a negative slope, it still appears in the assembly to slope upwards.  It still works, it just looks odd (last pic).

RoadwayPlan.JPG

CrossSection1.JPG

RoadwayCLProfile_BikePathSuperImposed.JPG

BikePathLeftEdge_Profile.JPG

CrossSection w LinkSlopetoElevation.JPG

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 4 of 17
david.dixon
in reply to: david.dixon

attachments for better viewing

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 5 of 17
david.dixon

other pics

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 6 of 17
dgordon

it's simple math the first 100 feet the 3 ft shoulder will be within 1:3 slope.  from 100 on the walk will need to move away from the road at a rate of 3 ft for ever 100 ft of stationing to maintain 1:3 slope.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 7 of 17

Dave,

i've attached a little PKT file created with SAC that I think does what you want it to. It goes out 3 feet and sets the elevation based on the bike path profile. If the slope from the attachment to the test point is over 33% then it slopes at 33% to the elevation of the bike path (pushing the path out). If not, then it slopes for 3' to the bike path elevation.

It doesn't have any point codes, it doesn't maintain 5% (another case where it would have to move the path out), it doesn't work going down or to the left. (It also took about 5 mins to make).

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 17
david.dixon
in reply to: dgordon

seems simple, but not quite when trying to model.

@Peter.  I will try your .pkt file and get back with you.

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 9 of 17
david.dixon

no luck with the .pkt file  It's probably end user error (me).  The bike path maintains a 3' offset for the entire length when I apply it.  I found another solution using "LinkSlopetoElevation" though.  I'll have to study SAC settings because I've never used it.  I just downloaded it for the first time.

Thank for the help Peter!

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 10 of 17

Did target the bike path profile in the corridor?

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 17

yes

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 12 of 17

Dave,

I just tried it again in 2012 and it worked fine (once I actually hit the "Add" button to target the elevation).

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 17

let me try in 2012 then 🙂

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 14 of 17
david.dixon

no go.  The slope changes but the offset remains 3'.  I set "TargetParameter1" to target the bike path profile.  Does "TargetParameter2" under surfaces need to be set to anything?  Also, why is DeltaY set to "10" in the True definition portion? I can send you my drawing file as well if needed. It's around 5 MB.

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 15 of 17

Send me the file directly... I have a different version of the PKT, but it works exactly the same for me.

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 16 of 17
Joe-Bouza

@ddixon wrote:

< "BasicLaneTransition" >

I try to stay away from sub assemblies with the word "basic" in the name. Most of thos are for demonstration and learning purposes as the help files often state.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 17 of 17
david.dixon
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks again Peter for your assistance.  Creating a custom subassembly using Subassembly Composer was definitely the answer.  You have opened my eyes to a new and very powerful tool!  I owe you one.

Best Regards,

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report