AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor
david.dixon
Message 1 of 17 (632 Views)
Accepted Solution

Corridor Modeling Question

632 Views, 16 Replies
09-01-2011 06:01 AM

I have a basic common Corridor modeling problem that I just can't seem to get past.  So I am asking for help here.

I am working with a roadway section, right side only. On the right of this assembly, we have 12' lane at 2% cross-slope and 6% longitudinal grade, then 3' min wide shoulder at minimum cross slope 5% and max cross slope at 3:1, then a 10' bike path with 2% cross slope but a 5% longitudinal grade, then regular daylighting.

As the stationing increases, the bike path begins to diverge away from the road lane when the 3:1 max. threshold is reached for the 3' shoulder.  The 3' shoulder begins to then increase in width to hold the 3:1 slope after this.  To complicate things just a bit, the alignment is along a curve, then reverse curve, but this us really not my issue.  I am having trouble trying to get this assembly to "stretch" using the "BasicLaneTransition" SA or any SA for that matter.

I have the center of road (6% grade) and inside edge of bike path (5% grade) profiled and have targeted the bike path profile in my Corridor.  I don't think I can target a horizontal alignment for the edge of bike path since that will be variable when 3:1 threshold is reached.  The "BasicLaneTransition" SA seems to hold the "Default Width" of 3.0' when I target the horizontal alignment. I have tried all of the Transition types within this SA with no success too.  I want the model to determine the bike path edge for me.

Any thoughts?  Any help would be greatly appreciated and a free drink might be in order at this year's AU if you can guide me in the right direction :smileyhappy:.  Civil 3D 2011 update 2 being used in this case.  I can post screen caps if needed.

Thanks in advance,

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

Google+

Dave,

i've attached a little PKT file created with SAC that I think does what you want it to. It goes out 3 feet and sets the elevation based on the bike path profile. If the slope from the attachment to the test point is over 33% then it slopes at 33% to the elevation of the bike path (pushing the path out). If not, then it slopes for 3' to the bike path elevation.

It doesn't have any point codes, it doesn't maintain 5% (another case where it would have to move the path out), it doesn't work going down or to the left. (It also took about 5 mins to make).

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 2 of 17 (628 Views)

Re: Corridor Modeling Question

09-01-2011 06:11 AM in reply to: david.dixon

Dave,

A couple of pictures of the cross section at a couple of different stations would help me. This might be a interesting SAC problem for the section between the road and the bike path, but generic links might do the trick.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Contributor
david.dixon
Message 3 of 17 (622 Views)

09-01-2011 06:46 AM in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Yes Peter, I will post the screen caps.  I tried "LinkSlopetoElevation" and that one seems to help.  At least it follows the profile elevation, but there seems to be no way to maintain the 3' min offset as seen towards the end of the alignment (see plan shot).

When I use the "LinkSlopetoElevation" SA and give it a negative slope, it still appears in the assembly to slope upwards.  It still works, it just looks odd (last pic).

RoadwayPlan.JPG

CrossSection1.JPG

RoadwayCLProfile_BikePathSuperImposed.JPG

BikePathLeftEdge_Profile.JPG

CrossSection w LinkSlopetoElevation.JPG

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

Google+
Valued Contributor
david.dixon
Message 4 of 17 (621 Views)

09-01-2011 06:48 AM in reply to: david.dixon

attachments for better viewing

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

Google+
Valued Contributor
david.dixon
Message 5 of 17 (618 Views)

09-01-2011 06:48 AM in reply to: david.dixon
*Pro
dgordon
Message 6 of 17 (600 Views)

09-01-2011 08:43 AM in reply to: david.dixon

it's simple math the first 100 feet the 3 ft shoulder will be within 1:3 slope.  from 100 on the walk will need to move away from the road at a rate of 3 ft for ever 100 ft of stationing to maintain 1:3 slope.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 7 of 17 (599 Views)

09-01-2011 08:44 AM in reply to: david.dixon

Dave,

i've attached a little PKT file created with SAC that I think does what you want it to. It goes out 3 feet and sets the elevation based on the bike path profile. If the slope from the attachment to the test point is over 33% then it slopes at 33% to the elevation of the bike path (pushing the path out). If not, then it slopes for 3' to the bike path elevation.

It doesn't have any point codes, it doesn't maintain 5% (another case where it would have to move the path out), it doesn't work going down or to the left. (It also took about 5 mins to make).

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Valued Contributor
david.dixon
Message 8 of 17 (596 Views)

09-01-2011 09:08 AM in reply to: dgordon

seems simple, but not quite when trying to model.

@Peter.  I will try your .pkt file and get back with you.

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

Google+
Valued Contributor
david.dixon
Message 9 of 17 (575 Views)

09-01-2011 10:20 AM in reply to: david.dixon

no luck with the .pkt file  It's probably end user error (me).  The bike path maintains a 3' offset for the entire length when I apply it.  I found another solution using "LinkSlopetoElevation" though.  I'll have to study SAC settings because I've never used it.  I just downloaded it for the first time.

Thank for the help Peter!

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

Google+
Employee
peterfunkautodesk
Message 10 of 17 (572 Views)

09-01-2011 10:24 AM in reply to: david.dixon

Did target the bike path profile in the corridor?

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.