Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor grading - slope to surface

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
EdWidy
1272 Views, 9 Replies

Corridor grading - slope to surface

On my corridor I am using Link Slope to Surface, using a 3:1 slope. But it is giving me a 3:1 slope radial to the corridor - what I really need is a 3:1 slope between the contours themselves. On the inside of a tight curve, this makes a big difference. See the attached screenshot. Is there a workaround for this?

12-12-2013_ 11.13.20 AM.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
fcernst
in reply to: EdWidy

No, Corridors layout Links in projections perpendicular to a Baseline.

You'll have to adjust your Daylight grade or your longitudinal Baseline grade... or a combination of both.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 10
EdWidy
in reply to: fcernst

I was afraid of that. It will be a lot of fussing with assemblies, but it is what it is.

Message 4 of 10
Joe-Bouza

extract the edge fl, set a FL at the next contour elevation shaped accordingly, and project from your drawn contour 1:3. add an infill between them to finish it off.

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
EdWidy
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

So basically... do it manually.

I had extracted a feature line at the edge of the road and tried using a Grading to get my 3:1 slope but had the same problem. I was hoping that Gradings would look at the slope between contours instead of radial to the curve, but no such luck. I'm a little surprised that Autodesk hasn't addressed this issue, as I doubt any of us has ever done a job without curves...

Ed

Message 6 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Dont't grade from the extracted line. thats why I said create your first contour in the shape and direction needed and project from that, then infill between the hand drawn contour and the corridor

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
doni49
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

You could also extract the edge of pavement feature line from the corridor (tell it to maintain the dynamic link) and then create a grading object based on this feature line that slope to the EG surface at 3:1.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 8 of 10
EdWidy
in reply to: doni49

@doni49 wrote:

You could also extract the edge of pavement feature line from the corridor (tell it to maintain the dynamic link) and then create a grading object based on this feature line that slope to the EG surface at 3:1.

That's what I tried earlier, but it also grades radially to the feature line, instead of maintaining a 3:1 slope between the contours.

I'll have to do it the way Joe suggested above.

Thanks for all of the input.

Ed

Message 9 of 10
doni49

HMMMM.  that won't work as I expected.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Thats why I said what I said 🙂

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report