Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor contour line issue

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
csevers
2347 Views, 3 Replies

Corridor contour line issue

So we just got C3D 2012 yesterday and I've got to use it to make a grading plan for a site. This is a small job and I could hand draw the contours just as quickly, but I'd like to learn to use C3D to do it for larger future jobs.

I'm having a number of issues, I believe I am incorrectly setting up my daylight in the assembly.

I've attached 3 template files that chronologically illustrate my process, as well as my issues.

My main problems are as follows:

1. My contour lines are not staying within the limits of disturbance, although I see where they should connect with existing grade contour lines. I tried all sorts of daylighting subassemblies to acieve this with no luck.

2. When contours do remain within the limits of disturbance they seldom match up with existing grade contour lines as they should.

The files can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?9ar8si2uw3qci

The first is a blank template, includes all the data I began with.

The second is after I've created an alignment, profile, assembly, and corridor.

The last is after I've created everything from the second plus the surface.

I don't think I have made any errors through the first two drawings.

Other than that everything seems to be working correctly.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jeff_M
in reply to: csevers

Wow, MediaFire file sharing is sure laden with spam. How about trying Dropbox or something similar?

Now, on to the problems....

The 2 subassemblies, DaylightToOffset....the offset distance is the distance from the alignment, not how wide yo want the link to be. Edit these to be -30 on the left and 44 on the right and you sould see results closer to what you think you should be getting.

You may want to increase the corridor frequency for a smoother surface.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 4
Jeff_M
in reply to: Jeff_M

To expand my thoughts for....

Do you really want the ditch/daylights to attach to the bottom of the lanes? Normally one would attach these to the top.

Make sure to check Overhang correction in the Corridor Surface properties. Also choose the Add Link as breakline option.

Create a boundary for the surface, using the Daylight lines, else you will have the TIN running over land at the inside of the curve.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 4
csevers
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks for the comments! I actually figured out the boundary problem about 5 min after posting this, and managed to piece together a subassembly that worked from the presets, but it'll be good to know how to put together a better one in the future. Also, it's a gravel road, so no worry about the daylight being attached to the bottom of the road. Sorry for Mediafire, I just used the first free upload site that came up.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report