Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor - Complex Merging

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Thoisington
2402 Views, 6 Replies

Corridor - Complex Merging

I am using corridors to model a driving course. I have attached two images that show 2 scenarios. One is where an alignment loops back onto itself. The other is similar to a merging lane.

What are the best ways to handle these? I am having a hard time with the surfaces overlapping. I have tried using targets, but they don't work well.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Thoisington

First thing that comes to my mind is Intersection. I'm not proficient enough to help. Old school intersection can do this too, but in both cases you may want to break the alignment, looping alingments can be a problem.

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 7
sboon

Looks simple enough.  Split the loop into two alignments and corridors so that you can target from each one to the other.  You will need a full width assembly and a half road - right side assembly.  What do you plan to do for the lane crossfall in the merge area?

For the exit ramp its' pretty much the same thing.  One full width assembly for most of the roadway and two half sections for the areas where the roadway splits.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 7
Thoisington

Why the two half widths? Do I use the right side section for road A and the left side for road B?

Message 5 of 7
sboon

Yes - the yellow piece will be built from the left section and the red piece from the right half section.  The tricky bit is the section between them where the right lane of one road is crossing the left lane of the other one.  You need to think about how you intend to handle the crossfalls in this area before you can determine how to build the assembly and corridor for this piece.Temp Merge.JPG

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 7
Thoisington
in reply to: sboon

Also,  I assume this does not need to be an intersection, but rather just targeting an outside alignment of each corridor?

Thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 7
sboon

I would use the intersection wizard to start - it helps with locking the profiles together and adding the offset alignments you will need.  You can skip the steps for building the offset profiles and the corridor, then work through the rest of it on your own.

If you can post a drawing with the alignments, profiles and basic template information then I'll try to find some time to build an example for you.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report