Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Boundary not working

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Kenth_Kristoffer
7758 Views, 10 Replies

Corridor Boundary not working

Hello, I have my 'datum/formation' corridor surface.

I applied 'daylight' as my boundary and yet you can see it goes beyong daylight.

Why does this happen?

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Do you have "concave" areas in your corridor where the road goes around a curve? Sometimes the triangles "infill" the inside of the curve which gives dubious surfaces.

Display the corridor surface with triangles and look for incorrect areas and use the editing tools to remove these.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 11

Did you make boundaries?

Message 4 of 11

Yes I did.
Message 5 of 11
csevers
in reply to: neilyj666

There has to be a better way. I just ran into this problem working ona corridor up the side of a mountain. The whole alignment is switchbacks. The errorneous part of the surface is as big as the correct part.

Chris Severs, PE
Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 bit
64.0 GB RAM
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 @ 2.30GHz
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 6 of 11
annw2
in reply to: Kenth_Kristoffer

I've never seen this.  Are you sure your targets are correct?

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 7 of 11
csevers
in reply to: annw2

Yes, I'm sure. See attached photos.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 8 of 11

If the corridor overlaps itself in any areas (could be very small), then even if a corridor boundary is applied, you'll have this issue. 

Alternative is to use the command under Home tab, Create Design, Panel Drop down, Create boundary from corridor. Then try to add this boundary to a surface. If the boundary won't add to the surface, then you'll know there's overlapping going on. Surface outer boundaries must be closed, non intersecting polylines/feature lines.

From here you can determine where the issue is and adjust your corridor/boundary

Steve Hill
Civil Designer / .NET Developer
AutoCAD Certified Professional
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Please select the Accept this solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 9 of 11

@redtransitconsultants wrote:

If the corridor overlaps itself in any areas (could be very small), then even if a corridor boundary is applied, you'll have this issue. 

When trying to apply the boundary using extents as outer boundary, were there any errors listed in panorama such as mask "0" ?

If so, choose the zoom to option if listed in panorama and it zooms to the problem areas showing any overlaps as Steve mentions.

Then the problem can often be corrected by changing daylighting etc.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 10 of 11
csevers
in reply to: Jay_B

Yes, I've got a bowtie in one area, and I'm getting the error you're talking about. I just wish people would draft lines perpindicular and tanget to eachother. They don't realize how much more difficult it makes my life when I have to redraw everything before I start my design from the conecptual sketchs I'm given.

The corridor boundary problem is resolved. Thank you.

Chris Severs, PE
64.0 GB RAM
NVIDA Quadro M4000
Civil 3D 2014
Message 11 of 11

Preaching to the choir @csevers ! Non-tangency in alignments can cause a lot of issues.

Steve Hill
Civil Designer / .NET Developer
AutoCAD Certified Professional
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
http://redtransitconsultants.com/
Autodesk Exchange Store
Twitter | LinkedIn

Please select the Accept this solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report