Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Boundary Issue

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
801 Views, 8 Replies

Corridor Boundary Issue

I am creating a grade separation corridor, and I have my assembly, alignment and profile.  When I create my corridor, add my surfaces (top and datum) and apply my daylight as my corridor surface boundary, the existing surface still appear over my corridor when I run Drive.  I have tried just applying the daylight to the top surface, then went back and applied it to both the top and the datum because I read this in my countless hours of research.  Then I went back and added the daylight using the interactive feature but the existing surface still appears over my corridor as seen from the attachment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have attached a jpeg of my issue through the drive command.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Edit the Surface Style of the OG surface so that all components are off in Model view direction.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

If you need to see more than just the design surface, you can create a composite surface by pasting the Existing and design together.

OR

You could create a surface by pasting in the Existing and then applying the boundary of the design as a hide border. by assigning 2 different surrface styles, you will see the design and the existing as you drive through Both shown differently.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

The only issue with that is that I want to be able to view my surface as well...just not over my corridor.  I tried applying a boundary that wrapped around the corridor (using both data clip and hide).  The data clip did nothing to the surface, and the hide boundary sort of worked, but it still had sections of the surface that extruded into the corridor still.  You can see from the picture attached that the selected line with the grips is my polyline that represents the boundary, and the green lines that meander into the corridor is the hide boundary.  It didnt cut the surface perfectly in a way.  The reason why I want the surface to show is for a utility exhibit that I have to make along with the roadway where I show the final location of the relocated utilities (depth, location, etc.) therefore I want to the surface to be visible. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

I tried pasting the corridor surface onto the exisitng ground surface as well and it came out pretty much the same as using the polyline as a hidden boundary.  You can refer to the previous attachment, and I have attached another one using the drive command that shows the surface extruding into the corrior surface still.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I see the corridor surface. I am assuming the other surface is what the corridor surface daylights to. If that is the case, I cannot explain the jagged extrusions. It should tie neatly. Am I missing something?

Message 7 of 9
sboon

I believe that you need to change a setting when applying the hide boundary.  In the screenshot below you can see that the Non-Destructive breakline option is turned off.  When that happens only TIN lines which are entirely within the Hide boundary are removed, so you get a lot of leftover bits where the lines cross the boundary.

Clipboard01.png

Here's the same boundary applied with the option turned on.

Clipboard02.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 9
sboon

@Anonymous wrote:

The data clip did nothing to the surface,

A data clip boundary only affects new data being added to a surface, anything outside of the boundary will be ignored.  Typically we use one when building a surface from Lidar point cloud data, to avoid building a ridiculously large surface around a relatively small site.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

Oh perfect that looks like it might work I will try that when I get into work!

Thank you very much! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report