Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correctly processing linework when importing a csv file

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
George-Handley
2309 Views, 3 Replies

Correctly processing linework when importing a csv file

Hey guys,

I am having trouble processing point code to correctly string the survey points.  I have tried three methods of coding and each method has a draw back which isn't really acceptable to me, as it either means more work in the field or more work in the office.

Method 1:

I code my points TOP 1 B, or TOE 2 or NS.

When doing this method the survey points don't string correctly.  Because of the space delimitation inbetween TOP & 1 Civil3d only recognises the code TOB and doesn't pay attention to the string number.  So all the points with the same code get stringed regardless of the string number.  Please see file "TOP_1_B_CODE_STYLE.png" and you will see that TOP 1 E strings to point TOP 2 B.

This will create a lot of work in the office breaking all the survey figures so they appear correct.

Method 2:

I code my points TOP1 B, or TOE2 or NS.

When doing this the points don't get coded correctly.  Because the code is TOB when I import a point with the code TOB1 it doesn't recognise the code, and puts the point on the default layer 0.  Please see file "TOP1_B_STYLE.png" and you will see all of the TOP1 and TOE1 are white and one layer 0.

This will make a lot of office work changing points to the correct layers.

Method 3:

I code my points without a string number, and only pickup one line at a time.  So I would start picking up a toe of bank by TOE B then finish it on TOE E.  See file "TOP_B_TOP_E.png" to see the result.

This does get the result I want but it really makes field work procedures slow.  It would be very frustrating doing a detail survey of a road and having to walk each individual breakline.

I want to be able to use Method 1 but to have all points get stringed correctly.  I have read a pretty good post about this here where the outcome is that all points should be put on layer 0 by default (I can't find it again though!).  For me though that isn't a very good option as I often have both design and asbuilt in the same drawing, and need to be able to turn off groups and not have the associated points left on my screen.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Method 2 is the way you want to go. In your description key set, use the codes TOP* and TOE*. The * is a wildcard so this will match on all codes that start with TOP or TOE.

The description keys are an exact match so the wildcards are necessary. TOE will not match TOE1 but TOE* will match TOE1. 

Youre Figure Prefix Database doesn't need the wildcard because it is a prefix datase. In your Figure Prefix Databas, just use TOP and TOE. This works because they are prefixes.

Hope this helps!

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 4

Thanks Brian and you're right, method 2 is the way to do it.  I actually made a mistake and somehow my custom point styles for each of my codes "disapeared"..... so it was putting it on the default layer 0 because the point style was set to basic.

big brain explosion.  Cheers

Message 4 of 4

I just read your post again Brian and saw the part about the " * " wildcard thing and that was exactly the problem.  

Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report