Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy Corridor or corridor station values only?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
LeafRiders
1916 Views, 11 Replies

Copy Corridor or corridor station values only?

Has anyone ever copied a corridor successfully? I'd like to try this just a little worried about the explosion of evil this may cause to my Civil 3D session.

Even all the properties of the corridor setup from one to another would be useful. I'm building one corridor and an 2nd one that matches everything except I need to replace my Assembly with one meant for stripping. Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
fcernst
in reply to: LeafRiders

You don't need to copy. Just create another Baseline in your Corridor.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 12
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I read your subject line as a little different than your description, but here goes.

We copy the corridor for our Roadway plan, it's not a design corridor.  We show both Existing & Proposed edge of pavement for our roadway rehab projects.  The AutoCAD copy command doesn't work but the Clipboard function of Copy with Basepoint does (0,0).  Although I don't get the option to paste to original coordinates, I just type in 0,0.  We do this because we use different code set styles for each corridor.  The existing pavement is shaded and the proposed is hatched.  I tried to do it with one, but was never able to resolve the shading/hatching order and the fact that the targeting is often different for the edge of pavement.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 12
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

I copy/paste corridors quite often as well. The OP should also note that duplicate alg's, profiles and assemblies will be created when pasting back in. These can be useful but may also be deleted once the pasted corridor has the original baselines, profiles and assemblies re-assigned.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
tdibiase87

I have a situation where I have received Alignments, profiles, assemblies, corridor info, surfaces etc. from another firm. 

We made small midifications to the assemblies to add swales to the roadway. We also changed corridor properties data to drop assemblies in different locations with different target surfaces in some cases. We then generated new surfaces to reflect these changes.

I've now received a new file from this other firm, containing updates to profiles and other tweaks. I have no record of the changes since their last iteration. Their file contains a vast amount of roadway information, from alignments to cross sections, and is messy and cumbersome. 

I've copied the our swale assemblies (from the original iteration) into the new file provided. I would also like to copy the corridor properties, such that I am working with their latest file. The corridor properties list is extensive and I have two corridors (NB and SB) so I would like to automate this process if possible.

I do not intend to make changes or updates to their files, workflow, or file structure unless absolutely necessary. I do not get paid to fix their mistakes, unless of course it is necessary to do so. Is anyone able to provide me a method to copy the corridor properties from the old rendition to the new rendition?

I apologize if I've made a mistake in piggybacking this issue within this post. I believe it directly relates to the original. 

Message 6 of 12
tdibiase87
in reply to: tdibiase87

Other notes:

I wish to copy the corridor properties from one corridor into a new corridor in a seperate dwg.

C3D 2012

Thanks so very much any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 12
troma

Have you tried to do a copy/paste and then reassigning the alignments/profiles?  I haven't tried anything like this, but that's basically what was recommended higher up the thread.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 12
tdibiase87
in reply to: troma

I'm not sure if the file structure will allow me to do so. Very little of the information is data shortcutted into this "master file."

I have an old version (containing the corridor properties info I need) but it contains potentially outdated alignments, profiles, surfaces etc.

Then I have a file (with a more basic corridor properies window - which I need to replace with the aforementioned corridor properties above). This file contains the latest information. I have no record of the changes between the two versions - as I was only responsible to append the assemblies and update the corridor properties.

The components of a corridor are simply - alignment, profile, and corridor properties? You are therefore suggesting I may be able to copy my old file and manipulate that?

It is my limited understand of civil 3d that the alignment and profile exist within a file - and not in an external database. Would you suggest it to be easier that I copy the new alignment and new profile into the old file? Can I use the tool palettes or catalog windows?

I simply want to ensure that my surface will reflect any alignment and profile changes that were made between the original and latest versions. My ultimate goal is a surface to use for contour display on a planset.

Thank you very much - I hope I have supplied the pertinent information here.

Message 9 of 12
troma

I'm not sure if I'm really the right person to address this, but here's my twopence for what it's worth.  Here's a potential workflow to consider:

1. Copy the old file with good corridor.

2. Data shortcut the updated alignments and profiles to this copy (or to the original, and save the copy as an archived version if this suits your file management structure better).

3. Repoint the corridor properties to the updated alignments & profiles.

4. Consider deleting the outdated alignments & profiles.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 12
tdibiase87
in reply to: troma

I'm weary of performing any extended work in their files - however I do like this workflow. Thank you very much for your guidance.

Message 11 of 12
LeafRiders
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Thanks for the feedback. The solution provided with using the Copy to Clipboard approach, will work best. Everything associated to the corridor itself is duplicated which makes sense, leaves a bit of a mess to cleanup, but this will help with this process.

Initially I was thinking of finding just a way to copy the target, frequency, and station range information from the Corridor Properties would be useful in reapplying different assemblies to the exact same stations. There are times where I end up with 20-30 station ranges within 1 baseline. Applying these exactly as they are the 2nd time around for either a 2nd scenerio or test or even running stripping corridors for quantities based on the original corridor data.

Thanks again!

Message 12 of 12
tdibiase87

The "copy with basepoint" command when used to transfer a corridor from one file to another maintains the assembly station values, from my limited experience. But the "targets window" when expanded, does not seem to maintain its information. I recently tried the command and the offset alignments and target surfaces that were specified in the corridor properties window are erased. 

If both the copied corridor and the pasted corridor are performed in the same file - does this wipe of the targets window still take place?

Also, if you copy a corridor into, for example, a complete duplicate file (with the same data shortcuts and, for argument's sake, the same offset alignments used to control assembly points) does the "target" information and offset information still get wiped?

It seems in the particular model I am working with, the most pertient or laborious information is invested in the "target" window. Is there a way to get that information intact to a new file?

Or is the best course of action to copy that information within an original file, and data shortcut (from an updated file - see above posts) in any changed alignments, profiles, offset alignments, (offset alignment profiles). There may be 50 or more of these such alignments and profiles. 

Perhaps this is too specific of an instance to be of any use to the greater community. However, I feel as though this sort of situation could arise more often when multiple consultants share civil 3D information, and corridors/assemblies in particular. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report