Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy contour labels across files

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
nloder
4706 Views, 7 Replies

Copy contour labels across files

I have a proposed surface with several hundred contour labels in a base file that I am xrefing into a sheet file.  I simply want the contours to be in a different color in the sheet file, yet I do not want to change the color of the contours in the base file.  Since C3D will not let you change the colors of an xrefed surface's contours, I am data-referencing the surface in and creating a style using the colors I desire.

The problem is, I want to import the contour labels from the base file.  When I turn on the layer in which the contour labels are on, they appear as white vertical lines.  It will take several hours to label all of the contours in my sheet file.  Is there a way to simply copy the contour labels from the base file into my sheet file?

OR, is there an easier way to simply get the contours and existing labels to show in my sheet file in the colors I desire?  Changing the color in the layer manager has no effect over the colors of the contours, and I do not want to touch the base file for the surface.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jeff_M
in reply to: nloder

If the Surface style in the Xref is set to use specific layer for the contours, those layers can then be changed as desired in the drawings to which it is xref'ed. Ditto for the label styles.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 8
c.bergthold
in reply to: Jeff_M

As Jeff said you should be able to change the layer color if the surface style is set to a layer.

Also you can copy contour labels from one drawing to another by selecting all the labels, turning on the contour label lines and turning off the contours through the surface style so only the label lines appear. Select all of the label lines and explode them twice so they turn in to lines. Once they are exploded to lines you can copy them into the other drawing, and add multiple surface contour labels from objects. Annotate Tab > Add Labels Flyout > Surface > Contour Multiple > Select Surface > Specify first point or [Objects].

Cory

Cory
Message 4 of 8
jfalkowski
in reply to: c.bergthold

True as long as he has his colors set to 'By Layer' in the style.  You would be suprised how many people hard code the color in the style instead of setting color by layer. 

IDSP '15 SP3 / '16 SP2
Dell Mobile Precision 7720 - Core i7-7820HQ / Win 10 / 32GB Ram / SSD / Quadro M1200

Message 5 of 8
nloder
in reply to: jfalkowski

Thanks for all the responses.  I ended up modifying the style in the x-ref file to allow color control in the sheet files.  Appreciate all the feedback!

Message 6 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: nloder

In the drawing with the contour labels, explode (did I really just recommend that?) the contour lable lines so you end up with just lines. Copy that into your new drawing (don't save the original drawing!). Now add contour labels and choose objects instead of drawing the lines. Not sure if you can do multiple lines this way or not but it's a thought.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 8
david.dixon
in reply to: c.bergthold

didn't know that could be done.  Good stuff!

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 8 of 8
IvanGrebenyuk
in reply to: BrianHailey

@BrianHailey wrote:

In the drawing with the contour labels, explode (did I really just recommend that?) the contour lable lines so you end up with just lines. Copy that into your new drawing (don't save the original drawing!). Now add contour labels and choose objects instead of drawing the lines. Not sure if you can do multiple lines this way or not but it's a thought.

Thank you! That worked for my application!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report