Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy cogo points from one drawing to another

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Bennos1
4021 Views, 12 Replies

Copy cogo points from one drawing to another

Hi,

I would like to copy cogo points from one drawing to another, keeping both their layer and user defined properties.

I can:

1. Do a copy and then paste to orginal co-ords. This keeps the layers but loses the UDP's.

2. Export the points to a csv and import into new drawing. This keeps the UDP's but loses layers

3. Export to XML. This loses both Layers and UPD's

I don't have a desc key file setup for the codes on these pts so this is not an option.

Does anyone have a solution?

Cheers

Ben

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
BrianHailey
in reply to: Bennos1

Haven't tried it but, wblock->insert?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 13
Jeff_M
in reply to: BrianHailey

Nope, UDP's never make it to the new dwg. 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 13
BrianHailey
in reply to: Jeff_M

Just did my own round of testing, just to prove everyone wrong and, guess what, I couldn't get them to come accross either. Even made sure the same UDP definition was in both drawings and, nothing.

Sounds like a bug to me. If you are on subscription, you should log this with the powers that be.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 13
Bennos1
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks Brian and Jeff for the feed back.

Message 6 of 13
OMCUSNR

Save the original drawing,and thenimmediately Save As to a new file name.  You now have a copy of the original.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 7 of 13
Bennos1

Hi Reid,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need those points (along with their layers and UDP's) to be copied into an existing drawing.

Ben

Message 8 of 13
BrianHailey

Xref and bind?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 13
OMCUSNR

OK, so then INSERT the existing drawing into the new base with cogo point.  Now you have both drawings melded together, and you can save as again to over write the old one or go forward from here with a new drawing.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 10 of 13
Jeff_M
in reply to: OMCUSNR

UDP's do not get copied between drawings, no matter how you try to do so.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 13
ryanquigley2390

Have you tried copying the other way?  I mean copy the other drawing into the drawing with the points and UDP's?

I would imagine you could use some combination of freezing/thawing layers or qselect to whittle your Point UDP drawing down to just the points you want (and corresponding UDP's) and then copy the other drawing into this drawing?

Do UDP's come over in an AECCIMPORTSTYLESANDSETTINGS or AECCIMPORTSTYLES command?

C3D 2012 SP1
Win 7 64 Enterprise
Intel Xeon 3.07 Ghz 8GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Message 12 of 13
Bennos1
in reply to: ryanquigley2390

Hi Guys,

I just found that if I xref a drawing in to another (and this xref has cogo points that have UDP's). If you click on the xref then right click and choose bind then insert. Once inserted explode that block. All the UDP's are retained.

Message 13 of 13
dkelso311
in reply to: ryanquigley2390

Saw this post and thought I was home free.....not the case

I brought the XREF into the drawing using the Bind, Insert then explode, however my points did not retain the most important property....the dragged (aka pulled locations) for each cogo point.

As I am a surveyor updating a huge ongoing asbuilt dwg. I surveyed a small area and used a clean dwg to draft and contour, however I would like to insert this small dwg into the larger ongoing dwg. While inserting I run into the same problem as mentioned above. Any new thoughts on this subject??

(my Top Curb and Flowline shots are pulled so that they look like an MLeader, however when inserted into the ongoing dwg, they lose the pulled state and insert on their exact coords. relative to their style anchor point.)

C3D 2012

Thanks,

Grubby Loooking Surveyor

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report