Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coordinate System

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
GrantT-LS
698 Views, 10 Replies

Coordinate System

Two questions.

1. Can a coordinate system that was created be deleted?

2. I have my new coordinate system that I bring in NAD83 GPS coordinates into the local system. After the project is complete our GIS department wants all the "As-Built" information (utilities & streets) sent to them back into NAD83 system. Can this be done to switch back & forth?

Tim Grant
Civil 3D 2022.1.3
Windows 10 Professional
Intel Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.9 GHz
16 GB, 64-bit
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
MtnMax700
in reply to: GrantT-LS

Good question.  I have been doing it 2 ways.  I have 2 dwgs., the main one being the NAD83 and the local one used by designer for easements and such.  But I also put the NAD83 coordinates on the dwgs. for at least 3 monuments if not more.

David

Message 3 of 11
jrasd

Our GIS department wants the same thing.

Traditionally and currently we have surveyed in local coordinate system then moved everything to NAD 83 for the as recorded portion of the project.

Jon

Jon
AutoCAD C3D 2014, SP1
Win7 - 64bit
Message 4 of 11
LeafRiders
in reply to: MtnMax700

Create a blank DWG file set the coordinate system to NAD 83. Query points from your local coordinate file to the NAD 83 file and I believe this should allow you to just keep your local file and query those points out converting them to the NAD 83 version before submitting them.

Message 5 of 11
rudy.martinez

How do i label xyz on the drawing

Message 6 of 11
GrantT-LS
in reply to: LeafRiders

LeafRiders

I have tried this and still have my local coordinates for my points and not going to NAD83.

MtnMax700

With your option are you creating you design in both local and NAD83 drawings?

Tim Grant
Civil 3D 2022.1.3
Windows 10 Professional
16 GB, 64-bit
Message 7 of 11
GrantT-LS
in reply to: rudy.martinez

Annotate Tab / Add Labels /

In the "Add Labels" dialog box Feature: "Note" / Label Type: "Note" / Note Label style: highlight "Standard" and to the right of that select "Copy current selection" then Highlight that copy and edit adding your N / E / Z.

Tim Grant
Civil 3D 2022.1.3
Windows 10 Professional
16 GB, 64-bit
Message 8 of 11
MtnMax700

Grant,

No, Designer does his thing in local.  I'll take it and rotate back to NAD83 for layout with GPS.  The reason for local system is that designer and real estate people don't understand geodetics and the need for certain statements in legal descriptions.  They need to see things related to record plats.  We are an electrical utility.

DAVID

Message 9 of 11
GrantT-LS
in reply to: MtnMax700

From all the information I have read and received I think I got something to work. Although it seem to take more steps then I thought it would it did work. Thanks to all for the input and other posts.

Tim Grant
Civil 3D 2022.1.3
Windows 10 Professional
16 GB, 64-bit
Message 10 of 11
LeafRiders

First of all...  "no designer does his thing in local". Is completely inaccurate. In fact if you're not designing in a ground based corrdinate system over a longer distance (roadway design). You'll end up with a significant amount of error from one end of your project to the other. Some jurisdiction require all road design to be done in "Ground" vs. "Grid". This topic alone has seen a lot of debate I'm sure.

If your drawing has your local coordinate system setup. Save the drawing file and close it. Then create your drawing file with the NAD 83 coordinate system selected and active. In the NAD 83 drawing run a query / draw in the entities to the NAD 83 file from your local file and everything should come in properly. I haven't done this in 2012 yet.

Message 11 of 11
GrantT-LS
in reply to: LeafRiders

I have tried that, I nust be missing something in the query because it did not work for me. the lines queried came in at my local coordinates.

Tim Grant
Civil 3D 2022.1.3
Windows 10 Professional
16 GB, 64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report