AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

dpoppe
Message 11 of 17 (131 Views)

Re: coordinate conversion on import

09-05-2013 02:25 PM in reply to: dpoppe

We generally do not use the survey database,. All of the point processing etc is done in Trimble software and we import the points into the drawing for use in creating a surface. The main issue here is in inserting a drawing. When I transfer points I use a simple .csv file and there is no coordinate system, I only made the mistake of using an xml file once. In the drawing settings a file that has not been opened and setup in C3D is by default assigned the international foot defination and to scale objects inserted. Our tempates are steup not to scale objects inserted and to work in survey feet. I have not found any way to change the initial default settings for C3D. As I noted I have 15 years worth of project dwgs for many on going projects that were created prior to switching to C3D. This has happened enough times that I spend to much time verifing data. I simply want to disable the option to scale inserted objects no matter what is set in the drawing file and my problem is solved.

Mentor
mikehathaway2942
Message 12 of 17 (129 Views)

09-05-2013 02:48 PM in reply to: mikehathaway2942

Why would you set your Civil3d template file be set to International Foot if you work in US Survey Foot?  Open your template, set it, save it out as your main template file and you should be fine. Also, uncheck the box 'scale objects inserted from other drawings'.  SAVE this as your template.  There is no need to set anything up more than once when using a proper template.

We also use Trimble and export the same way.  However, all our importing happens through the survey database.  As I stated before, we have no scaling issues.

As a test I created several blank drawings and inserted points via the points menu with all options checked and international feet set and was not able to get any of my points to scale.  I'm not entirely sure what's going on on your end but you must start with a proper template.

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 13 of 17 (128 Views)

09-05-2013 02:51 PM in reply to: mikehathaway2942

The template or survey database settings are not the issue here.  The OP is opening drawings which were not created by Civil3d.  In this case the software has no settings to start from so it reverts to the OOTB defaults.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Mentor
mikehathaway2942
Message 14 of 17 (125 Views)

09-05-2013 02:58 PM in reply to: sboon
Hmm, that definitely didn't come across clearly in his posts.....but after re-reading I can see that may be the case.

Word to the wise to OP. DO NOT USE ANY PRE CIVIL3D DRAWINGS IN CIVIL3D. Copy over pertinent linework or Xref data into your file. You can't mix and match. All our LDD data stays in LDD, anything new moves forward to Civil3d and must start with a clean Civil3d drawing.
dpoppe
Message 15 of 17 (113 Views)

09-05-2013 04:51 PM in reply to: mikehathaway2942

The use of the term coordinate was obviously a mistake on part. I was thinking of coordinate values for the objects in the drawing data base, ie the end point of lines etc. not just for points.

I am still left with the issue that when I am working on a drawing in C3D that was created with my template file set to survey feet. When I insert a drawing file that was not created in C3D I may get an unintended automated scaling of the inserted drawing. Unless I open an reset the drawing settings on each and every file. As I mentioned we have over 15 years of drawing files and I need to stay current on the dwg format to open dwg files created by other consultants and designers. Autocad has updated and changed the entities so that I cannot use LDD for ongoing projects. If I had projects that began ended in "reasonable" time frames it would make sense to phase in or out based on a project. I have some ongoing projects we have been working on for ten years and a couple we have been involved in for over twenty years. I may be over simplifing it, but just allowing us to control the default assigned to non-C3D drawing files or turning off the automated scaling would solve the issue. In the past I was able to control the scaling in Acad by a lisp routine. I have not found  any variables that will allow me to control it in C3D by a lisp routine.

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 16 of 17 (96 Views)

09-05-2013 08:26 PM in reply to: dpoppe

It occurs to me that the default OOTB settings have to be stored somewhere, probably in the registry.  If someone knew where to look it might be possible to change that setting so that the default for non-Civil3d drawings in Imperial units would be US Survey feet instead of International.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 17 of 17 (82 Views)

09-06-2013 05:08 AM in reply to: dpoppe

So you're looking for a Civil 3D equivalent of INSUNITSDEFSOURCE. I'm not aware of any but as mentioned. It might be in the registry.

You're best course of action until them may be to create a copy of the drawing you need to insert, open it in Civil 3d and assign the correct system. Then insert that drawing. You could also open the drawing read only, assign the correct system then WBlock out what you need - making sure you include Map information.

Allen Jessup

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.