Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling Tower Surface - Changing Triangle Connections

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
LukSew
361 Views, 4 Replies

Cooling Tower Surface - Changing Triangle Connections

Hi,

I need some help with changing triangles in surface shown below (surface created automatically):

chlodnia1.jpg

Bottom part looks ok but on the top (shown below) its  small mess. I need connections only to closest points, is it any option which can do it automatically? I tried reduce triangle lenghts in settings but looks like lenght is calculated from X and Y (2D only) so this option doesnt work for my case, reducing connections in height will work but I cant find option like that.

If anybody will be able to help, thank you.

Lukasz

chlodnia2.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BrianHailey
in reply to: LukSew

Are you using a TIN surface for this?

If so, why?

I'm not saying you shouldn't be but, a TIN surface might not be the best way to model this.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 5
LukSew
in reply to: BrianHailey

Yes, I am using Tin surface.

Model of tower is not a target, target is to get something like this (I think TIN surface will be only way to do that):

22.jpg

I dont know yet how to make that I was doing something similar for flat surfaces (ground surface), so I could use analysis from TIN surface and use heights to create contours with colors for diffrent range.

Now I need to do something similar for cooling tower, but instead heights I must show errors between surveyed and design shape. I dont know is it possible to compare 2 surfaces like that (with groung surfaces its easy because I can use heights) with analysis calculating diffrence between surveyed points (about 2000 points) and design shape in perpendicular direction to surface.

If somebody know how to do that I will appreciate all help.

Lukasz

Message 4 of 5
autoMick

The top of your tower is a mess because the walls are beyond vertical - C3D has no way of knowing which points to connect in a TIN.

You could 'unwrap' the tower, so that it is a flat surface instead of an upright structure. Then you could easily compare design versus actual surface deviations.

Not quite the visual effect you're after, but would certainly acheive the aim

Cheers

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
Message 5 of 5
BrianHailey

Civil 3D will only compare elevations differences at a location, not nearest distances. I think you would be better suited to find a piece of software that is designed to do this. What that is, I have no idea. Sorry about that.

You could, as was mentioned before "unwrap" the surface but, I think it would be much easier to find a piece of software that is geared for this type of thing then create a program yourself to unwrap it.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report