Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting per 7.5 raw to a fbk civil 3D 2014

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
dkaven
1436 Views, 16 Replies

Converting per 7.5 raw to a fbk civil 3D 2014

All,

I thought someone stated that there was going to be "fix" in Civil 3d 2014, so that we would be able to do this convertion. We use some Leica total stations from time to time, and we can not and have not been able to convert these raw files like we where able to in LDDT 2009.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Danny Kaven
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
IanMcClain
in reply to: dkaven

There is Survey Link available from the Survey pulldown menu in C3D. This is the same as it was in LDD and was commonly used to convert various raw data formats. Have you tried this?

Ian McClain
Message 3 of 17
dkaven
in reply to: IanMcClain

Yes that's what I've used in LDD 2009. But has not worked since in Civl 3D.
Thanks,
Danny Kaven
Message 4 of 17
IanMcClain

I'm not familiar with the leica format. Can you post a sample file?

Ian McClain
Message 5 of 17
dkaven
in reply to: IanMcClain

Thanks for the reply. This is the sample of your RAW data files.

Thanks,

Danny

Thanks,
Danny Kaven
Message 6 of 17
dkaven

Please note I had to change the file typ to TXT from the RAW to attach to the post
Thanks,
Danny Kaven
Message 7 of 17
Mpowelljr

Just played with it for a second, change the file extension to .gsi (Leica GSI Raw Data) and convert it to a .rw5, then to a .fbk with survey link and see if that works.

Change the extention to .fbk

Message 8 of 17
IanMcClain
in reply to: Mpowelljr

I did the same steps and got the same resulting file. I can't import it to a database however, since the coordinates for the setup/backsight points are not included.

dkaven, does the resulting fbk work for you?

Ian McClain
Message 9 of 17
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

You did not say what Model of Leica Total Station You are using.

The 1100 and 1200 series instruments you should be able to export to RW5 or FBK from the instrument.

You can go to the Leica GeoSystems web site and down load the format files to load into the instrument.

On the Leica Instrument Convert Menu you should have these options.

1. Export Data from Job

1.Export ASCII

There should be about a dozen diffrent formats avalable  GSI8(Angles,Distances, TH,IH,Code) GSI16(Angles,Distances,TH,IH,Code,X,Y,Z), and bunch of Leica Formats for Road Runner and Stake Out Reports.

2.Export FBK/RW5

Microsurvey RW5

TDS RW5

Autodesk FBK

3.Export DFX

Need to check with your Leica Dealer to make sure current Instrument Firmware and Software is installed.

Prefered method of processing Leica Instrument Data is to use LGO LeicaGeoOffice. Using LGO allows all the capabilities of the instrument to be used. Free Station, Resections, SmartStation.

Leica had the old LGO v.4.0 on their web site for free down load or most dealers will give you a copy. (It processes data from optical instruments) The new Version 8 Processes GPS and SmartStation data and applys Geoid and Datum corrections but is costs about $8000.00

I work in a lot of remote areas without control so, we mix GPS and TPS data. Set control with GPS and apply an OPUS correction, tie local control and apply local datum corrections.

Jim  (a Wild /Leica Guy for 40 years)

Matrix3DSurveys

Leica GPS1230gg, TCRP1201R1000,T2002/DIRO3002S

IDS2014/ C3D2014

SuperMicro Dual Xeon Workstation

Message 10 of 17
dkaven
in reply to: MATRIX3DSURVEYS

Thanks, for all the information... I will try all this out and post my results. I do know we are using both 1100's & 1200's. I was out of the office for sometime so sorry for the slow reply.

Thanks to all,

Danny

Thanks,
Danny Kaven
Message 11 of 17
dkaven
in reply to: Mpowelljr

Mpowelljr, I used the method you did and stated in your post, and it converts to the FBK, but does not use the line codes (40, 41, etc). You can see these codes in the the example I've attahed. Not sure on what to do there.

Thanks so much for all you all have done!

Thanks,
Danny Kaven
Message 12 of 17
dkaven

Jim,
I also looked into the 1100 gun and it does not look like I can export from the gun to a rw5 or and FBK. I does however look like I can recorded in a somewhat like FBK. But would need to be edited on the back end before importing in Civil 3D. The 1200 gun works fine when convert with the survey data link in civil 3D 2014.

Thanks so much for all you all have done!
Thanks,
Danny Kaven
Message 13 of 17
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

I'm up Skiing so I don't have a Gun to test the solution. I would try importing the GSI16 file into the TPS1200 and using

FDE (Field Data Extractor) to export in RW5 of FBK format.  Personal preference is to use the RW5 format I find it easier to spot errors in and edit using Survey Data Collector Link inside of C3D. You can process the file inside C3D and Export either as a Point File or FBK. ( I believe that Copan will also handle the GSI16 files) http://www.underhill.ca/software/copan-windows/

The best way to handle the data from the Leica Instruments is still to use the LGO (Leica Geo Office) it allows all the capabilities of the instrument to be used. ie. Free Station, Resections, Smart Station mixed GPS and TPS. On big projects where I get data from as many as 20 crews using instruments from different manufactures ; I get data from the non Leica instruments in the RW5 format, import and process it in LGO.  Export the data from LGO in PXYZDA.csv format then import the point file into C3D; since 2013 line work and description keys can be applied to point files so the FBK files are no longer needed to get line work and Point Codes.

A little history Mid 70's HP developed the first electronic total stations. They had some problems with precision machining and optics and Wild/Leica (Wild bought Leica mid 80's and formed the Western European Optical Group)   became involved, as well a Company called GSI /Texas Instruments.  HP shut down the Civil Engineering Division in the early 80's and Wild acquired the patents.  There were several spin offs from HP, among them TDS, CMT.  I had one of the first HP3820 produced and the first Wild T2000 in the country. That said we had great instruments but we did not have any software to process the data that they recorded in the office. So I ended up working with Fort Collins and Farmingdale to develop industry specific software.   I don't believe that the core of either the TDS or SoftDesk program has been changed in 20 years.  The LGO seems to be updated and improved about every 5 years.  

Jim

Matrix3DSurveys    

Message 14 of 17
dkaven

Jim,
Hope you had a good time skiing.

I'm still having problems with the 1100 data getting converted correctly. I still can convert in LDDT with success, but not in Civil 3D. I will be looking into the LGO sometime today…I will post my findings. Seem odd LDDT converts the data but Civil 3D does not.
Thanks,
Danny Kaven
Message 15 of 17
dkaven

Ok I did test the LGO, I tryed to import the GIS file from my Leica 1100 gun in to a LGO project....Using the Leica GIS with Observation and it stated I have no observation, and the Leica GSI Points only. The GSI Ponits only imported only the point number and the elevation. I did nota have and Northing & Easting Data or no line codes.

Thanks,
Danny Kaven
Message 16 of 17
MATRIX3DSURVEYS

The data file sample you posted is a GSI8 format file. It does not appear to have the required data lines.  With a T2002 /DIRO3002S the default data looks like this:

Point num                                   Hz angle            Zenith angle          Slope distance                PPM/Prism              X                             Y                          Z

110004+00080121 21.324+03119140 22.324+05819360 31..00+00060427 51....-0000+034 81..00+00000000 82..00+00000000 83..00+00000000

110005+00000000 84..00+04034464 85..00+02956129 86..00+00005712

110006+00010012 21.324+34746050 22.324+05206590 31..00+00065151 51....-0000+034 81..00+04023569 82..00+03006383 83..00+00045719

Use the COGO commands to configure the instrument.

COGO 11  Enter x,y,z Reference point

COGO 11  Enter x,y,z Instrument point

COGO 21  Set Instrument point

COGO 23  Set Reference AZ

Instrument Point Line Is 11,84,85,86

Surveyed Points are 11,21,22,31,51,81,82,83

HI and TH are normally entered as REM 71 and REM 72

The Wild instructions for Setup and traverse use 0 "zero" Instrument Height and Target Height; The Swiss Method attributes elevations errors to improperly measured HI and TH. To eliminate these errors the Instrument is setup over a point and the coordinates of that point recorded in the instrument. The Prism rod is adjusted to the same height as the instrument.  Zero TH.  Turn's are then made to a Prism on a Tripod (again zero TH), the Tribrach is left in place and the prism is replaced with the Instrument. (Prism Center Height needs to match Instrument alidade height). Rod is then adjusted to HI of new setup.

I gave up on using GRE3 or Record Module on the T2002 and now use a TDS data collector(HP48wTDS or Recon) and run the instrument from the Data Collector when I need to use it for long range shots.

Still think you should be able to import the GSI file from the TPS1100  into the TPS1200 and use the FDE application to export as RW5 or FBK format.

Jim

Matrix3DSurveys

Message 17 of 17
dkaven

Thanks so much for all your help. I'm still working with this at this time but had some other thing get in my way of this work.

Thanks,

Danny

Thanks,
Danny Kaven

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report