Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting from Microstation to AutoCAD

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
Karon.williams
62778 Views, 31 Replies

Converting from Microstation to AutoCAD

Is there a tool in Microstation that converts .dgn to .dwg without any loss of styles, lineweights, etc?

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
Neilw_05
in reply to: Karon.williams

I'm not an expert on ustn but I do use it. The SS2 version has Real Drawing libraries so it might provide better fidelity than older versions when converting DGN to DWG. Depending on which version you have you can use the EXPORT command from the file menu to convert DGN to DWG, or you can just use SAVEAS. I'm not sure which method offers the best fidelity but I don't think either will be 100% since ustn has more capabilities than ACAD with regard to linetypes, references and other features and vice versa for some features in ACAD. Also sheets may not translate to conventional ACAD layouts if they were not set up properly for that purpose.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 3 of 32

In Microstation v8i, SAVEAS .dwg usually works pretty well for me.  Make sure you use the correct units when saving (Feet vs. Survey Feet) or your site might shift by a few feet.  Also, using Windows True Type fonts instead of Microstation fonts helps.

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 4 of 32
rnoyes

The conversion mentioned by Neil will work very well.  You also have the ability in SS2 to have the linetypes be written out as Autocad linetypes and translate MicroStation fonts to Autocad shx files.  Using Export or save as will give you the same functionality.  All the setings are under the dwg options (bottom right of the saveas or export dialog).  It allows you to use the level symbology settings to translate if you want.  It is fairly flexible.  You then just need to hunt down the shx/lin files it creates and you will be good to go.

One thing to keep in mind most of our clients generate linetypes at a scale (so let's say they are developed for 40 scale plans).  So on the acad side you may end up needing to mess with LTSCALE/PSLTSCALE/MSLTSCALE to be happy with the way those files work in Autocad.  It also may end up making working with native Acad linestyles and Microstation linetypes in the same file a challenge.

A final note (really I promise this is it).  Since Microstation does still generate some linetypes that are not supported by Autodesk I suggest that you check the check box that says "Drop unsupported Linestyles to Components" this way the "picture" still looks the same.  Or you use the remap utility in MicroStation to map the lines to some other supported style.

HTH

Message 5 of 32
david.dixon
in reply to: rnoyes

really dumb question...what is SS2?

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 6 of 32

SS2 = select series 2. 

Message 7 of 32

We made some changes to Civil 3D 2011(using an API from Bentley) that have be added to AutoCAD 2012 (and Civil 3D 2012) that when a DGN file is opened, the linetypes in the Microstation resource file (rsc) are recreated in AutoCAD.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 32

thanks!  I was unaware that we were running an old version of v8i (SS1).

David Dixon
Senior Civil Designer

hdrinc.com/follow-us
Message 9 of 32

Peter,

I am curious about how complex linetypes in Microstation might be translated to Autocad linetypes. I am no expert on Autocad linetypes but It is my understanding that Autocad linetypes are incapable of mimicing some of Microstation's capabilities. For example I have a Microstation linestyle that includes a curb & parking stalls when I stretch out a line. How does the new Autocad Translator handle these tyes of linestyles? It would be great if we could get this style to work in Autocad.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 10 of 32

The linetype engine has some additional features for reading RSC files from Microstation and creating a linetype that can replacate the graphics inside of AutoCAD. At this time these are "special" linetypes that you can't edit or create using the AutoCAD UI. You will need to make sure that the location of the RSC file is in the AutoCAD path for the conversion to work.

We tested this on a good number of Microstation lintypes and it is working well. I love to here how your linetypes work.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 32

Regretably we were not able to renew our subscription this year so I won't be able to try the new feature. I could post my .rsc file if you'd like to try it. I would love to see how it works in Autocad as well if possible. If the converted styles function properly it could be a selling point to management.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 32

This is in Civil 3D 2011 as well...

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 32
blasman123

Peter,

Where can I get this API from Bentley. The one that converts MIcrostation Linestyles to Autocad?

Thanks,

Sonny Gonzales

Message 14 of 32
jnavagh

I have been testing the use of this conversion feature, and it seems fine when the file is first imported.  However, when saving the file and closing, and then re-opening, the linetypes have been washed away and I am left with continuous lines where my microstation linetypes once were.  The linetype is still defined in the "Linetype" dialog, however the graphics simply loom like a continuous line.  Any thoughts?

Message 15 of 32
balkisusa
in reply to: Neilw_05

our client sent us dng files which I was able to convert to CAD 7, but my linetypes are not plotting right. The client sent us also all the linetypes and standards but in microstation format. How do I transfer/convert these standards so I can create the correct plot style so my drawings will plot correctly?

Message 16 of 32
civ_engineer

Did you find a solution to this problem?

I just used NCOPY to bring in a microstation linetype

and had the same result of getting the continuous line upon

reopening the drawing.  I'm trying to make a double yellow with the

inside dash... using a shape created in autocad produced pitiful results.

Message 17 of 32
Neilw_05
in reply to: civ_engineer

I haven't gone through the workflow, but as Peter metioned above, you'll need to put the microstation linestyle file (.rsc) in the Autocad files path for the translation to maintain fidelity. So I would conclude you'll need to get the .rsc file from the DGN source.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 18 of 32
civ_engineer

That didn't work for me.

Message 19 of 32
Neilw_05
in reply to: civ_engineer

I'd file a support request with reference to Peter's comment in this thread.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 20 of 32
tim.gilding

Hi there, 

Slightly off-tangent but I'm importing a DGN into AutoCAD 2015 and I'm missing the majority of the drawing. I'm not a Bentley user so I'm not familiar with the way their software works, but does it create external references the way AutoCAD handles xrefs? On the import only a small amount of information is processed and on the import I have the following dialogue:

Regenerating model.
AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.*Cancel*
Command: IMPORT
PW_WORKDIR:dms27585\ver00004\N420-COT-MOD-AR-521204.dgn is missing.
PW_WORKDIR:dms13326\A1_BORDER.dgn is missing.
Regenerating model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report