Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting from 07 to 08

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
logokster
179 Views, 4 Replies

Converting from 07 to 08

To all using 08. The office i work in is considering changing to 08 from 07 in the next month or so. Besides the install, is there any downtime converting to 08 if I use the same functions as 07. We also do not use vault, we use shortcuts.

Does anything need to be done for converting the drawings to 08. I remember going from 06 to 07 was a pain because we used the project setup(what little there was) for 06 and had shortcuts for 07. For existing projects past 50% we left in 06 to finish due to relinking surfaces and alignments between drawings. Other than the relinking 3D objects between drawings, the functionality was very similar.

Thanks for any help.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ARC0112358
in reply to: logokster

Great article here on file formats and what to expect...

http://www.civil3d.com/index.php/2007/04/civil-3d-2008-and-file-formats/
Message 3 of 5
Sinc

The biggest thing that's been biting everyone is that 2008 resets a whole bunch of labels when opening a 2007 drawing. This can be a problem so overwhelming that you REALLY don't want to open some 2007 drawings in 2008. Hopefully this will be fixed VERY QUICKLY in a service pack. Until/unless that happens, it can be miserable switching certain drawings to 2008.

Other than that, most issues seem to be minor. Overall, lots of things fixed. Still lots of bugs that were in 2007, tons of features that still need to be added, and tons of UI and stabalization work to do before this program can in any way be called "out of beta", but significantly better than 2007 SP3. And unlike the 2007 release, we've been seeing very few out-and-out crashes.
Sinc
Message 4 of 5
ddelloch

What kind of label resets are there?

I have a couple of huge vaulted projects and I don't really want the stress of being stuck with an extra week of work just because I converted.

Would you say at this point, that 2008 is better than 2007 as it stands now?
Message 5 of 5
Sinc

2008 is MUCH better than 2007, but there's still an extremely long way to go. At this rate, C3D will probably be out of beta in 2014... 🙂

Point labels, labels in Profile Views, and Parcel labels seem to be the big problem issues. For surveyors, the Point labels are the worst. We keep wondering when Autodesk will add a feature that will auto-spread point labels so that they don't overtype. In the meantime, one of our most-onerous tasks is dragging point labels around so they can all be read.
Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report