Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

converting a dxf file into a solid in civil 3d

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
michaelpurdy
1686 Views, 7 Replies

converting a dxf file into a solid in civil 3d

I have imported a wire frame as a dxf file from another 3d modeling program and want to know how to convert it to a civil 3d solid.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: michaelpurdy

No greetings, no thanks... write it again more kindly, sir, and someone will answer to you.

Message 3 of 8
dgordon

what does autocad say the objects are once the file is opened in autocad?   if the wire frame has been exploded to 3d lines with elevations, they these could be added to a surface as autocad objects - lines.

if the object is still some kind of aec object that it could not interpret then another conversion method may be required.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 4 of 8
Sinc

Keep in mind that C3D pretty much can't use solids...  You're probably looking to create a Surface, which is not the same thing.

Sinc
Message 5 of 8
antoniovinci
in reply to: Sinc

Sinc wrote:

Keep in mind that C3D pretty much can't use solids

I don't concur: definetely it can manage 'em perfectly, just because Civil is based on the same strong engine of "normal" 3D Autocad...

Message 6 of 8
Sinc
in reply to: antoniovinci

You can create a solid in Civil 3D, but you can't use it for anything useful, as far as C3D commands go.

Civil 3D is really three programs in one: Civil 3D, Map 3D, and AutoCAD.  You can use any of the commands in any of these three programs, but they don't necessarily interact.  For example, C3D Surfaces and AutoCAD solids/meshes are incompatible.  You can't create a C3D Profile from a mesh or solid.  AutoCAD Fields, C3D Labels, and Map Annotations/Object Data are also incompatible, and data can't be shared between them.  C3D Parcels and Map Topologies are incompatible.

It's a very schizoid program, with three brains in one, and the three brains can't communicate between themselves.

Sinc
Message 7 of 8
michaelpurdy
in reply to: Sinc

Thanks, I was trying to export a solid from Mapteks Vulcan program into C3D, but i made the mistake of exporting it as a dxf. When i exported it as triangulations i could create surfaces on the figure "solid" and then shade it. It was for appearance only, i use Vulcan for the 3D modeling in the mining industry.
Message 8 of 8

Hello Anton,

I am grateful for those of you who are able and so willing to help. I am new to Autoccad and 3d modeling myself and just had a piece laser scanned for me. the only way I can get the file to open in ASutocad is to convert the stl to a dxf and now only have a wire frame I need to use as a solid. Is there anyway to do this? I also have a stop file and SLDPRT file for it, just can't seem to get Autocad to use them. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Greg S

ps here is the SLDPRT file and the dxf converted from stl if it helps at all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report