AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Ra'ad
Message 1 of 1 (186 Views)

Converting a 2D into 3D

186 Views, 0 Replies
10-25-2006 07:32 AM
I have very slow performance when converting a 2d feature line into a 3d feature line .

THE PROBLEM
============
The problem is that when I create a 3D poly line from a 2D feature line it takes a long time to do. It takes 10 minutes per 1000 meter feature line on a surface made of 5m x 5m point levels. The problem when you need to convert al long poly line such as 7 Kilometre long into 3D, it takes more than 1 hour time to convert it.
THE QUESTION IS
=============
1- Why is this very slow performance and how to reduce the performance time and make it faster ?
2- What are the recommended steps, PC specifications to reduce the performance time ?
3- Are there another factors that my cause such slow performance ? wat are they ? and how to resolve them?

THE STEPS OF THE SPECIFIC FUNCTION
==================================
- A new drawing ( Autodesk civil 3D Metric NCS Base .dwt) is opened.
- A copy is made from another drawing of natural ground levels (NGL) and pasted in to the new drawing. The size of the NGL drawing is 6171 KB.
- Surface is made on the basis of Drawing objects ( NGL: natural ground levels).
- 2D drawings is made on the surface (NGL) with poly lines.
- Feature lines is created from the 2D poly lines.
- From edit feature line – Elevation from surface – a 3D poly line is created. Now It takes 10 minutes to convert a 1000 meter Feature line in to a 3D feature line on a grid of 5m x 5m made surface.
- The total size of the drawing is 15000 KB.

PC SPECIFICATIONS
=================
PENTIUM 4, 3.6 GHz single core, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, PCI-e graphics card from NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI.
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.