Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting 32bit 2009C3D drawing to 64bit 2011C3d

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
elaine3051
345 Views, 5 Replies

Converting 32bit 2009C3D drawing to 64bit 2011C3d

Since I'm so darn clever I decided I could "save as" a 2009C3d-32bit drawing to 2011C3D-64bit. This drawing was working just peachy for a while. There are no data links. The drawing contained 2009 surface and point groups. I imported some Pipe styles created in 2011. Created 800' of profile,and my pipe network. When I was closing the drawing I got a lot of errors wanting to know if I wanted to save changes to VBA-pipes. Seemed like a good idea at the time so I said Yes. This morning I opened the drawing and it's there but the surface from 2009 no longer has it's Definition data. The point group is gone, breaklines are gone. I needed to remove one lousy bad point out of my surface. The points in the drawing now have three copies and one has the elevation in the point description and you can't fix it. The 3 labels are all tied together and if you erase one they all disappear. I am going to wing it from here and get this puppy out of the office with a little old fashioned autocad. This is my question. Where did I go wrong? Should I have just started a new drawing in 2011, clipped all my old line work and text from the 2009, imported the points and rebuilt my surface? Did I do something wrong and there was some way I should have been able to make this work? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was running 2009 and 2011 on my computer but had to remove 2009 last week. It no longer like livng with his better looking brother "2011" and I had to put him out. I have numerous small projects created in 2009 so this will happen again.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Two things:

1. The file formats for 32bit & 64bit are not different, the only thing that matters is the year format

2. Don't know if it would help but do you have VBA installed on the 64bit install? (it hasn't been installed by default  since I believe 2010, maybe 2009, can't remember)

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 3 of 6

I was told that it is installed but I am going to reinstall. I know this drawing is corrupted and beyond hope. At least i still have my profile and surface contours. I guess what I am asking is how is everyone handling upgrading from 2009 to 2011 with drawings created in 2009. if you run both C3D 2009 and 2011 on the same machine eventually 2009 becomes corrupted. maybe 2011 does too and I need to run a repair. Sigh......I just wanted

one of those days when I just came to work and did my job, not be a flipping IT person.

Message 4 of 6
Jeff_M
in reply to: elaine3051

@elaine3051 wrote:

I guess what I am asking is how is everyone handling upgrading from 2009 to 2011 with drawings created in 2009.

I just copy the original to an archive folder, open the dwg, audit, save. Then just carry on. I have not, yet, seen a corrupted drawing by using this method in any version which I've used....but, I did skip using 2011 since it had issues I couldn't live with so I stuck with 2010 until 2012 was released.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: elaine3051

It's very strange that you're having these issues. Normally just opening the file in 2011 is perfect.

That said, it's a very good idea, before opening any 2009 file in 2011, to use the RECOVER command on that file first. Moving forward in version, recover ALWAYS finds something.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 6
elaine3051
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks everyone. The issues may not be originating in the software, but I had to explore the possibility. This is one of the first projects I created when I moved from Land Desktop. I am not the only person who worked in the project so there is no telling why we are having issues with it. I still had to be sure it wasn't something that I was doing wrong when using a newer version of C3D.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report