Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert from Civil3D 2013 to Civil 3D 2012

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
mmcwilliams323
2058 Views, 14 Replies

Convert from Civil3D 2013 to Civil 3D 2012

I have been working on a template (.DWT) for Civil3D 2012.  I decided to continue my work recently with a newer vesion C3d 2013, and to my shock there seems to be no way at all to transfer my newer settings (I.E.: default layering, default data bands, newer CODECS, etc to the C3d 2012 version. This is about a week's worth of work that I will have to replicate manually to C3d 2012. I cannot believe that the 2 versions are this completely incompatable.

Could somebody please give me some suggestions and/or work arounds to this?

Thanks all for any help

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
tcorey
in reply to: mmcwilliams323

You're stuck. Only 2014 and 2013 are compatible forward and backward.

If you have a multi-version office and you want to share templates, do all of your template setup in 2012. 2013 will read them forward fine, but you cannot go back.

Sorry for the bad news.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 15
michael.robertson
in reply to: tcorey

Be aware that data is not backwards compatible either.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 4 of 15
neilyj666

Just save the 2012 template in your 2013 support folder.

Manage > Import styles or simply dragging and dropping will get most of the band sets/styles etc into 2013.

Remember (as others have said) data can't go back (in any useful form) to 2012 once saved in 2013.

CUI changes can be dragged and dropped to some extent in the CUI editor as well

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 15
troma

It looks like there's a little typo here, so I'll ask: are you going from 2012 to 2013 or from 2013 to 2012?

I think you said you're going to a newer version, so lets assume it's 2012 to 2013.  It was recommended to me elsewhere on these forums to simply start a drawing in 2013 from the 2012 template. Save, close.  Then run a RECOVER on the drawing as many times as necessary  until there are no errors.  Then SAVEAS a template in your template location for 2013.

This will bring everything forward: styles, command default settings, layers, ambient settings etc.

Others have recommended against such a method due to the possibility of corruption from incompatibility.  So use with caution, I guess!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: troma

This will work and it is a quick and dirty way to get going again in a new version (I did it from 2011 to 2012 and 2012 to 2013) but be aware that any new Object Layers/Prebuilt Styles in the stock template will not be carried forward

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
troma
in reply to: neilyj666

Can you elaborate on that a little? Do you mean they will be set to the default OOTB layer setting? Or they will be set to no layer at all? Or what?

Thanks.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 15
neilyj666

I don't know the answer but this has some info about new objects etc http://beingcivil.typepad.com/my_weblog/2013/04/important-changes-to-drawing-templates-in-autodesk-a...

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
mathewkol

I'm pretty sure he saved his 2012 dwt in 2013, made some changes, and wants to save them back to 2012 which as we all know is impossible.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 10 of 15

Como puedo Convertir un DGW 2013 A DWG 2012, TENGO TODO MI TRABAJO EN 2013 Y AL GUARDAR COMO 2012 , Y ABRIR ESTE ARCHIVO EN ESTE VERSION 2012 SALE CUARQUIER COSA MENOS MIS SUPERFICIES

Agradecre su ayuda

Gracias

Message 11 of 15
troma
in reply to: RONALDO0507

It is not possible.
You can get an AutoCAD drawing in 2012, but not a Civil 3D drawing.

Mark Green

Message 12 of 15
jskaw

it is possible!!!!

So what i did was went to an earlier drawing that I started with my original template.  I opened it in 2012, erased all linework, points, etc.... and then "saved as" my original dwt.

Message 13 of 15
Cadguru42
in reply to: jskaw

@jskaw wrote:

it is possible!!!!

So what i did was went to an earlier drawing that I started with my original template.  I opened it in 2012, erased all linework, points, etc.... and then "saved as" my original dwt.

You took the 2013 drawing, opened it in 2012, then saved it as a DWT? How'd you manage to keep the styles and settings? How'd you get 2012 to open a 2013 drawing in the first place?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 14 of 15
jskaw
in reply to: Cadguru42

What I did was opened a drawing that I created with 2012 in my 2012 AutoCAD, this dwg possess all of my styles, tool pallets, symbols, etc.... So I just erased all linework and whatnot and re-saved the dwg as a drawing template.

Message 15 of 15
AllenJessup
in reply to: jskaw

OK. While that was a smart way to recover a 2012 template that had been lost or damaged. The OP had altered the template in 2013 and wanted to save it as a 2012 template.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report