Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert .dwg to .dgn

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
gouletl
6609 Views, 5 Replies

Convert .dwg to .dgn

I have a bunnch of .dwg files I need to conver to .dgn (AutoCAD 2011 to Bentley View V8i SS2). I have zero experience using these programs and only need to convert these files. Right now I can open them in V8i but they open as read only which doesn't work for the other work that needs to be done.

Is there an easy way of doing this? Everything I've found online either says "pay someone to do it" or "download a program."  Neither of these are options that I can use and I was hoping someone had a different way that they can put in layman's terms! 

Thank you! 

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
antoniovinci
in reply to: gouletl

gouletl wrote:

I can open them in V8i but they open as read only

You don't need to convert them in .DGN, because Microstation opens .DWG files normally, sir.

If actually they appear as "read-only", I guess you should copy 'em from CD/DVD media onto your hard disk...

Message 3 of 6
gouletl

Thanks for the prompt response. They are on my harddrive already, and they are only opening in read only. I'm not sure what other settings or anything need to be selected to make them editable.

And it's ma'am.  😉 

Message 4 of 6
antoniovinci

I beg your pardon, Lady.

In Windows Explorer, right click on one of those drawings, and uncheck its attribute "READ-ONLY"...

Message 5 of 6
Neilw_05
in reply to: antoniovinci

In the file open dialog in Microstation there is a toggle to open the file in Read Only mode. Make sure that toggle is off.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 6 of 6
gouletl

Hey guys!

Sorry for the delay in answering- work got super busy! The read-only trick was what I needed. I also found out that a lot of the documents I was trying to open in MicroStation were made in AutoCAD in a way that I wouldn't have been able to do what I needed to.

Once again, thanks for all of your help! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report