Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

control fill slope

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
lambertb
658 Views, 7 Replies

control fill slope

I have a fill slope that I would like to control a rolling slope. In another program I used a superelevation diagram point control to change the slopes of the fill. Is there a efficent way to control a changing fill slope in C3D?

C3D 2022 and 2024
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: lambertb

Haven't heard the term "Rolling Slope" used before, perhaps a regional term?.

Could you post a sketch of what your after?

DAYLIGHT STANDARD will use 3 different slope parameters for Cut or Fill based on the Min. Max height values before switching to the next from flat to steep.

DAYLIGHT GENERAL will allow for varying slopes based on slope segment widths (think multiple hinge points/slopes prior to tying to EG).

The entire Subassembly reference can be found Here.

Jay

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
lambertb
in reply to: Jay_B

I am looking to manually control the slope. Maybe there is a parameter table or something. In the other software one could use a parameter table or superelevation (slope) diagram (table ok but led to many transition rows and such, the super elevation diagram was a lot smoother). I was trying to avoid multiple regions or daylight subs.

C3D 2022 and 2024
Message 4 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: lambertb

I'm not aware of any such table controls in C3D and I have not found a way to avoid multiple regions in my corridors.

The other extreme is more the norm.Smiley Happy

If you know roughly where you'd like the daylight to tie, "Daylight To Offset" works well & will tie to a Miscellaneous or offset Alignment specified in the Targets. It does as the name indicates & stops/ties at the offset alignment.

Also with this approach you can grip edit the alignment to your liking (If you want to move the slope in or out.

With this method you'd want to add various vertices to the alignment if the slope is to meander in & out based on terrain (this way you have grips to edit the alignments by).

I use it a lot for driveway daylight limits & once visualized in section editor it's quick & easy to adjust tie points.

If your Daylight slope ties are a constant such as a Right of Way alignment LT /RT it works best for that.

Jay

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 8

Here is a way to do this that would work for both the rolling slope and a number of other elements. It uses a profile and a little SA that you would make with Subassembly Composer. How it works is you use the profile to generate an elevation number at a station and then the subassembly reads that number and formats it for use and exports the number as an Output Parameter.

To use this in this project, you would add this SA before a standard cut/fill SA. Hook the SA to the profile the controls the rolling slope for the left/right/both side of the road. Then in the standard cut/fill SA get the slope value from the output parameter.

This would also work for widening and thickness of elements where the profile is just a diagram of numbers that move down the alignment.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 8
fcernst
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

I don't think you necessarily need SA for this, do you? 

SBoon and MattK came up with just this type of dummy profile control solution where you use an omitted Generic Link, placed at the appropriate hierarchy on the assembly build, that has an Elevation output parameter that can be passed down to others below it on the assembly.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 8
sboon
in reply to: fcernst

The SAC solution would be cleaner, since it doesn't create a corridor section point at some dummy elevation.  The better solution that we came up with was another sub which read from an ACad table object, and used those values to calculate an interpolated output parameter.

Unfortunately that sub cannot be recreated using SAC, and the original version was written for the 2010 software.  I'm not even sure if I could still find it now.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 8
fcernst
in reply to: sboon

What!? ....    An Omitted link creating a corridor section point is not very "Omitted like" behavior, now is it...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report