Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contours from surface not matching

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
charles.neely
3048 Views, 6 Replies

Contours from surface not matching

Using polylines I have created a proposed surface. When i display the contours from the surface they dont match the polylines. In the image the polylines are the lines in blue. What settings do I need to massage to get a better match? Thanks!

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jmayo-EE
in reply to: charles.neely

Confirm the contour elevations, confirm that the surface style is showing contours at the same interval (surface style dialog box, contours tab) and confirm that the surface was not accidentally moved up or down (look for a Transform entry in the surface properties dialog, definition tab).

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Cadguru42

When adding the contours to the surface definition, be sure to check the weeding factor. I think the default is 15'. Just this morning I had an issue where the polylines weren't matching the surface, so I changed the weeding to 2' and that seemed to fix it. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 7
charles.neely
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Turns out some polylines had been lowered a foot by someone running some scenarios so that took care of part of my problem.I've attached a second screen shot showing a 529' contour labeled and the blue polyline the surface was created from. I have triangles and points turned on and they are all at 529 also but the contour line doesnt follow the entire way. I did use the suggestion about weeding, cranked it down and the supplement setting also to add more points to see if that would help. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Tags (2)
Message 5 of 7
jmayo-EE

You added the polylines as contour objects. Did you use the minimize flat areas commands? You should. If you did and the contours still look like that go to the surface properties dialog, definitions tab and make sure the minimize flat aread entry is BELOW the add contours entry.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
charles.neely
in reply to: jmayo-EE

That did the trick. Now going through and removing some of the extra data added to fine tune it. Thanks.

Message 7 of 7
jmayo-EE

HTH Charles. Be well.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report