Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contours from Points & Midordinate Decrease

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Jarrod_FDC
278 Views, 9 Replies

Contours from Points & Midordinate Decrease

I have created surface contours from points, but I just can't sem to figure out how to decrease my midordinate distance.  I know I can go all old-school and explode the surface then make a new one by defining contours, but there has got to be a better way.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Avera737
in reply to: Jarrod_FDC

Unless I'm missing something, mid-ordinate distance has nothing to do with points.  That's a value which cooresponds to the way C3D grades using curved breaklines.  Are points the only object defining your surface or do you have breaklines as well?

What are you hoping to achieve by "decreasing the midordinate distance?"

Message 3 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: Avera737

The Mid-Ordinate can be set when applying Boundaries, Adding Contours and Simplifying a Surface. Possibly the OP is looking for Maximum Triangle Length? I'd have a better idea if I could access the program right now.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Jarrod_FDC
in reply to: Avera737

I don't think you are missing anything, mid-ord is contour related.  And points are the only thing currently defining my surface.  What I am trying to accomplish is a rendering with a texture that more closely resembles the existing land.  The texture is associated with the trinangles, therefore I need to increase the amount of triangles to smooth everything out.

Message 5 of 10
AllenJessup

There is a Smooth Surface command that will densify the points - in effect adding triangles - to smooth out the surface. This is provided to make contours look smother but it smooths the Surface in 3D also.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Jarrod_FDC
in reply to: AllenJessup

I will eventually have a few boundaries to define a creek area and intake structure that will obviously be rendered with ther textures besides thick grass.  I'll apply the texture and attach an image, although I am sure everyone has seen the faceted textures.

Message 7 of 10
Jarrod_FDC

Is that different than Contour Smoothing?

Message 8 of 10
AllenJessup

Yes. Contour smoothing adds vertices to and or splines the contours. That's a visual change Surface Smoothing actually adds points and triangles to the surface. The drawback is that if you smooth too heavily. You'll end up with a complex surface that may be difficult to work with. Depending on your computer resources.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
Jarrod_FDC

I came across those settings the other day.  Kringing Method was unfamiliar to me so I moved on.  I've only got 30 or 40 points so this should work out ok (fingers crossed).  I'll try to post before and after pics if I can get them on here.  Have to tweak my settings somewhere.

Message 10 of 10
Jarrod_FDC

I gave it a try and it worked well. I didn't get the exact effect I was looking for, but once I play around with it a few more times and figure out how the settings work best together I will end up getting what I want.  Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report