Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contours disappear on Corridor Surface

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
troma
1664 Views, 7 Replies

Contours disappear on Corridor Surface

I built a corridor, then corridor surface.  Then I changed the corridor onto a different profile.  I noticed that the contours at the end were going crazy: the new profile ended before the corridor and everything was going down to zero elevation.  So I went to edit my corridor region.  I enter the required station, and my contours disappear.

Observations so far:

If I set the end of the corridor region to 2+377.91 to  2+384.54 inclusive, the contours on the surface disappear.  The triangles and boundary still display, and the surface gives a Z reading when I hover the mouse over it.  If I set the region end to something above 2+384.54 or something below 2+377.91 the contours reappear.

My profile ends at 2+383.00, and I would like the corridor and the surface to end there too!

C3D 2013 SP1

(I need to edit my signature)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
troma
in reply to: troma

The surface looks fine in the corridor section editor and in the section views.

Mark Green

Message 3 of 8
troma

I left the region end at a station so I could see the contours, regardless of them going crazy at the end.  Then I added target profiles for my ditches, and the contours disapeared again.  Then I put the region station end to the correct station, et voila! the contours displayed.  So I'm happy, for now at least.  But I'd like to know what's going on, for next time.

Any ideas?

Mark Green

Message 4 of 8
Jeff_M

Level of Detail turned on?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 8
tom_berning

Do you have a boundary defined for the surface either through the corridor properties or under the surface properties? I think we had a similar problem and once a boundary was added, the surface displayed contours correctly.

Tom Berning
Woolpert, Inc.
Civil 3D 2020
Message 6 of 8
troma
in reply to: Jeff_M

Why yes, Jeff, yes it was. My first project in 2013, so I'd forgotten about that, despite the amount I've read around here about it. But tell me this: why would it display 0.1m contours all the way from zero up to 291m ish elevation, but then turn off the contours when displaying from only about 289 up to 291? I would have thought Level of Detail would have the inverse effect i.e. turning off contours when there was too many of them to make sense of. Besides, the display was fine either way, it was just a specific station range that effected it.
All the same, I wish I'd remembered to flip the setting when I had the problem.

Mark Green

Message 7 of 8
troma
in reply to: tom_berning

Surface boundary added 'From corridor extents' prior to any problems.

Mark Green

Message 8 of 8
troma
in reply to: Jeff_M

Well, I let my curiosity get the better of me and removed all my targets—flipped back to the original situation. Yep, level of detail it was.

Can you explain that at all? Like, seriously, when there is a vertical wall of contours on top of each other, none get hidden. But show a few more or a few less and they all get hidden. Not just every second one, or hide 9 out of 10 of them, but all of them gone? And this time I found a hole in my TIN too!
I thought the level of detail was meant to act with the zoom, to hide more as you zoom in and out. Not just pick random bits of a surface to turn off at random moments.

Mark Green

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report