Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contour style

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
ryan.beisaw
353 Views, 16 Replies

contour style

I have a surface that spans a river and would like to create different linetypes and colors for those contours that are nevative values. Is that possible to do within one surface - Have two different visable sets of contours within one surface style?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: ryan.beisaw

One way I would do it is to make another surface called channel, paste the mother surface into it and add a boundary for the channel. Set it contour style to dahed. Use the same boundary as a hide boundary in the mother and you will get the change

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I wonder if you could use an expression to hide the negative contours and have user contours defined for the channel?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Nope don't think you can hide the negative with expressions. In a label yes but not the contour.

Though I would like to be proven wrong.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Interesting. How would you go about that? I started looking at

IF({Surface Elevation}<0,?,?), but don't know what to do with it for contour display? Surpressing a label would be easy

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 17
jrauch

Use the Analysis tab to sort the contours into two groups.  Apply a style that shows uses a color scheme for contour analysis.  Then you can achieve what you're looking for with one surface.

-John J. Rauch, P.E.
Message 7 of 17
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jrauch

Hi

I can do the analysis but cant get them to display as analyzed. How do you do that?

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
jrauch

Make sure you have a surface style that uses a color scheme in the contour analysis.Surface Style Properties

-John J. Rauch, P.E.
Message 9 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Thats the button I was looking for!

Thanks. double kudos for that

Your Name

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
ryan.beisaw

I feel like I could get there somehow by using the analysis tab in the surface properties. Ive picked two ranges and can edit colors and linetypes as shown, but after I apply and whatnot, nothing seems to happen...Untitled.jpg

Message 11 of 17
jrauch

Check out my post above - it's got a screenshot - you need to create a new surface style that uses a color scheme for contours.

-John J. Rauch, P.E.
Message 12 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Now edit the style being used, go to the contour tab an set color scheme to true as jrauch has shown us.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
jmayo-EE

There's the answer. Thanks!

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
Joe-Bouza

thats a goodie! just like cut an fill contours

Your Name

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
jmayo-EE

Yes sir. Just goes to show that if everyone is thinking the same thing then no one is really thinking. 😉

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 16 of 17
ryan.beisaw

BOO YAH! GOT IT! THIS IS AWESOME THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Untitled.png

Its hard to tell with the black background, but all the contours in the river are dots and up on the banks are hidden linetype. Does this mean I can go home now?! haha 😛
Message 17 of 17
BrianHailey

I know you have a solution already but this might work for you as well. I did this to display the contours on steeper areas at a different interval than those on flatter areas: 

http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2010/03/12/contour-intervals-based-on-slope/

It MIGHT do what you want then again it might not.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report