Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Lines in Autocad Civil 3d 2011

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rjwilson
6139 Views, 6 Replies

Contour Lines in Autocad Civil 3d 2011

I am trying to generate contour lines but I can't figure out how to do it. I looked in the help, but it shows this task pane thing that I have no idea what to do with.  I have been drafting for thousands of years, and this is the first I've seen of this. I can't find what it is or what it does anywhere. We are on a network here, and if there were tutorials, nobody in the IS department knows about it. We don't have access to the software, because we are untrustworthy and don't know how to take care of things. SO, is there any other way to put these contours in?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: rjwilson

Generate contours from what? A point files, a autocad surface or draw them yourself?

Conutour lines in AutoCAD Civil3D are based on a surface and the display style for that surface.

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-AutoCAD-Civil-3D-2011/dp/0470884185/ref=pd_sim_b_7

Well worth the price.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 7
rjwilson
in reply to: Murph_Map

I entered the point information manually, then I created a surface. I have a tin there, I exported it to a DEM file, added it back in, but am stuck as to what to do now. Is there something I neglected to do when I created the surface?

Thanks

Message 4 of 7
Murph_Map

You need to assign a style for the surface to use contour lines. If you started the dwg from the Civil3D NCS dwt you have a style in there just assign it to the surface from the Surface Properties dialog. Also the tutorials should be in the folder with the Help files. C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011\Help\Civil Tutorials on my install. See attached for style.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 7
rjwilson
in reply to: Murph_Map

Found the tutorials, thank you very much. I didn't start with that template, what I believe I'll do, after carefully viewing the tutorials, is start over- Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 7
wengle

If you have the contour lines in plan view, I have a progrm that will elevate them according to each elevation of line. If you're interested, email me wengleattitaniumnetworksdotnet.

Message 7 of 7
ericcollins6932
in reply to: wengle

You can also copy the style with contours from another drawing - just create a new drawing using the NCS template.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report