Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Lables for a specific contours

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
RalphBrown99
476 Views, 9 Replies

Contour Lables for a specific contours

Hi:

I have a drawing with contours every 1m and according to the area that I have to display in my layouts I have to display contours either 2m, 5m or 10m.

How is possible to create labels for only this elevations and if it is possible, create several labels along one of these contour with specific interval

Thanks

Rafael

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
troma
in reply to: RalphBrown99

Simplest way I can think of is to set the Major contours to 2 or 5 or 10, as you wish, and then set the minor contours to 1m.  Then when you add the labels you can set the minor labels to none, and the major labels to display the right label style.

As you add labels there is an option for Multiple at interval, but I don't use it much.  I'm sure there is a way to set the interval.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 10
tcorey

Are you wanting to cross all the contours at once, but only have those that are 2m, 5m, and 10m labeled?

Look into using Expressions. With a good set of expressions referenced into your label style, you should be able to accomplish this.

For example, one expression would say If SurfaceElev divided by 10 is a whole number, set label height to some postive number and to 0 if not. Next expression would say if divisible by 5 but not 10 and the next would be if divisible by 2 but not 10. I don't have time at the moment to design the expressions for you. Sorry, but next week I might be able to help if you haven't figured it out.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 10
RalphBrown99
in reply to: troma

Thanks Troma

Message 5 of 10
Adriano_cad

Hello,

To enter multiple tags with contour interval:

1. Select the surface.
2. Tab Labels and Tables;
3. Click on Add Label -> Contour - Multiple at Interval
4. Pick first point:
5. Pick second point:
6. Interval along contour <100,000>:

Thanks

Adriano Oliveira
Diretor Soluções BIM MaxiCAD
MaxiCAD Soluções e Educação BIM.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

some text
Message 6 of 10
BrianHailey
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

Are you wanting to cross all the contours at once, but only have those that are 2m, 5m, and 10m labeled?

Look into using Expressions. With a good set of expressions referenced into your label style, you should be able to accomplish this.

For example, one expression would say If SurfaceElev divided by 10 is a whole number, set label height to some postive number and to 0 if not. Next expression would say if divisible by 5 but not 10 and the next would be if divisible by 2 but not 10. I don't have time at the moment to design the expressions for you. Sorry, but next week I might be able to help if you haven't figured it out.

Best regards,

Tim

HERE is my write up on how do accomplish just that but instead of using text height, I hide negative values (won't work if you are labeling a volume surface or have negative values for your surface but here in Colorado, we don't get much below sea level).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks, Brian!

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 8 of 10
tcorey

Brian, you use the -1 for compatibility with old versions of Civil 3D that don't allow 0 text height, is that right? That eliminates using 0.00001 and getting a visible dot.

For users of newer versions, 2013 I am positive and I think as far back as 2011 (check it!,) you can use a return of 0 for text height in the false condition and then the label will not display. Older versions won't accept a 0 text height for a label, hence Brian's use of -1.

Great solution, Brian. Thanks for sharing.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 9 of 10
BrianHailey
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

Brian, you use the -1 for compatibility with old versions of Civil 3D that don't allow 0 text height, is that right? That eliminates using 0.00001 and getting a visible dot.

Tim

Nope. I used it because I didn't know you could set a text height of 0 via an expression. Thanks for the tip!

By the way, you can't type in a height of 0 but it seems to work via expressions.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 10
troma

Doesn't really apply here, but I found for alignment labels you can't use an expression to set the text height for a reference text componant.  So I went with the tip from your blog: making an expression to return a negative value and hiding the negatives.  Works great!

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report