Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Labels will not add

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
troyhill
4530 Views, 12 Replies

Contour Labels will not add

I am using Civil3D 2012 and have a drawing that will not allow me to add Contour Labels. This is the first time I have had this problem. While searching for possible solutions the only thing I came across was this Knowledge Base post that describes my issue exactly but the solution does not fix the problem...

Unable to create contour labels

Issue

You were unable to create contour labels. When you tried to create a single contour label, you could not select any of the contour lines of a surface. When you tried to create multiple contour labels, the contour label line disappeared after you selected the second point.

Solution

You cannot create contour labels unless your model uses the UCS World coordinate system. To resolve this issue

1. On the AutoCAD command line, enter UCS
  2. Enter W when prompted for an option.

You should now be able to create the contour labels successfully

I tried switching my UCS a few times, double checked all surface feature settings and label styles, tried it on different surfaces in the same drawing, restarting, auditing, I even tried switching visual styles to assure it was in 2D and no luck.

Any suggestions or has anyone else encountered this issue?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Jeff_M
in reply to: troyhill

Any chance of posting the drawing?

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 13
troyhill
in reply to: Jeff_M

I cant. The file is too large.

Message 4 of 13
wetsnow13

I would check the Label Style you are using and check the General and the Layout tabs and make sure that "visibility" is true.

Message 5 of 13
Jeff_M

If the file is too large for the forum to accept, the use of Dropbox or your Autodesk360 account works well. 

EESignature
Message 6 of 13
troyhill
in reply to: wetsnow13

This is not a style problem. I have checked that as well as the Surface feature settings in the toolspace to be sure that the label lines are set to "true" just to be sure but the issue is that is will not pick the contours to add them. Its described exactly in the original post under "Issue"
Message 7 of 13
troma

Is your current layer locked?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 13
troyhill

Havent used my 360 account so it took a minute to set it up. Here is the file. http://a360.co/1hf0da7
Message 9 of 13
Jeff_M

Your TIN Surface labels are set to be placed on the C-TOPO-TEXT layer, per the Object Layer tab under Drawing Settings. That layer is frozen. Thaw that layer and see all of the labels you've tried to add....now add any others you need.

EESignature
Message 10 of 13
troyhill

Ha.. Thanks a lot.. Been a long week of pushing to get this out. I was reading too quick thinking it was set to just C-TOPO. I hate when its something so stupid like that. Thanks for your time tho. I needed to get my 360 account goin anyways too.
Message 11 of 13
jfengineering

I'm running into the same issue and I have finally figured out that my labels are going to the C-TOPO-TEXT layer (thanks Jeff).  However my label style settings, for JF Eng Proposed, are set to send the text to C-CONT-LABL-N (overide checked) as you can see in the attached image.  I've selected the label, and you can also see that the style is set to JF Eng Proposed, but it is on C-TOPO-TEXT.

Cont-Lbl-layer2.jpg

JF Engineering, PLLC
Civil3D, Current/Win 10 Pro
MSI MPG X570/AMD Ryzen 5 3.6 GHz
EVGA GTX 1650, 4GB
1TB Samsung 970 M.2
16 GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
2x ViewSonic VX2458 24in Monitors
Message 12 of 13
jonathan2A8RJ

Thank you! Very helpful!!!!

Message 13 of 13

I'm having a similar problem where my spot elevations are placed on layer C-TOPO-TEXT but my current layer is C-ANNO-GRDG-EX and my spot elevation style is using layer 0. How do I change the default layer from C-TOPO-TEXT to label on the current layer?

spot-elev-properties.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report