Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contour labels not working

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
wbrustle
1994 Views, 20 Replies

contour labels not working

I created a surface and the only available data I had was proposed contours and a boundary. When I try to label contours, it recognizes the surface when I select it, but will not label....I see no labels when I select a contour. My label style is correct and all layers relating to the style are thawed, because I tested it on the existing surface, and labels show up fine.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
rkmcswain
in reply to: wbrustle

Are you trying to label the contours from which you created the surface?

If so, you'll need to turn on the contours display element of the C3D surface style, and then label those contours.

displaystyle3.png

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 21
wbrustle
in reply to: rkmcswain

I was trying to label the contours of the surface I created from the contours that were polylines.....I digitized contours and assigned elevations to each polyline and then selected them to create a surface. I know it is not the ideal way to create a surface from just polylines, but lots of time the engineers will hand draw the proposed contours and I digitize them in.....also I was trying to put a spot shot on this surface and nothing happens then either. It is almost like the surface is there and it selects it, but none of my labels work.....I used it as part of a profile and it worked fine, but no labels?????

Message 4 of 21
cmistric

I am having the same problem and it's has nothing to do with visibility or thaw. It just simply will not label a surface created from polylines!!!
Message 5 of 21
cmistric
in reply to: cmistric

And no I am not trying to label the original contours because they are turned off.
Message 6 of 21
cmistric

And when you click ADD the pick box goes away so you can not even select a surface!!!
Message 7 of 21
KirkNoonan

Ther could be any number of things causing that to happen. Can you post the file for us to take a look?

Message 8 of 21
gwassmer

I have the same problem. This seems to be happening to a lot of us.
Message 9 of 21
gwassmer
in reply to: gwassmer

Trying to add screenshot but it doesn't seem to want to attach.
Message 10 of 21
doni49

@gwassmer wrote:
Trying to add screenshot but it doesn't seem to want to attach.

What filetype is the image?

Website-addimage.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 11 of 21
gwassmer
in reply to: doni49

that looks nice, but I don't have that toolbar. only add attachment at the bottom underneath the preview. Its a word document. I pasted the screenshot into word.
Message 12 of 21
doni49

There are several people in this thread complaining of the same problem.  But NOBODY has posted a dwg file to allow someone to troubleshoot.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 13 of 21
cmistric

Shouldn't need a file. All you have to do is make a surface from existing polylines in Civil 3D 2014 to see the problem.

Message 14 of 21
Jeff_M

@cmistric wrote:

Shouldn't need a file. All you have to do is make a surface from existing polylines in Civil 3D 2014 to see the problem.

I just did that and can label the surface contours without a problem:

10-23-2014 9-56-35 AM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 15 of 21
KirkNoonan

Works fine for me. I think that if the problem is as ubiquitous as you think, that this thread would be somewhat longer than it is. If you are unable to post a drawing, let us know and maybe someone can come up  with the time to formulate a laundry list of all of the potential reasons for the problem. The time needed to get an answer by simply posting a drawing will probably be shorter.

Message 16 of 21
doni49
in reply to: Jeff_M

Jeff,

The weird thing is that I initially had the same reaction as you did.  And I proceeded to create a new file just to show how easily the contours could be labled.  But then my contours wouldn't label.  😞

Anyway I'll upload a sample file that exhibits this issue -- since nobody else wants to.

Notice in the following screenshot the blue line?  I used the Label "Multiple Conours" option.  Every time that blue line crosses a minor or major contour, it's supposed to put a label.  Minors are red and majors are green.

C3D No Contour Labels.png

Don Ireland

Message 17 of 21
KirkNoonan

Don, your labels worked fine, they are just very small. Change the scale of the drawing to 1"=1000' or so and you'll see them just fine. It is just that your contours are 1,000 feet apart and the model space scale was set to 1" =  20'.

Message 18 of 21
doni49
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Duh -- that's the trouble with just making a new file with generic data.  I forgot to make sure it was big enough the right size to be able to actually see.

Don Ireland

Message 19 of 21
cmistric

Well I guess someone put some mojo on me because I was creating a file to post and it is working seamlessly now. Lesson learned, start with the right template file and try to avoid importing settings/styles.My problem seems that even though I imported settings/styles from my master template I still had to adjust the command settings. Thanks with all the responses... I will remove foot from mouth now haha.

Message 20 of 21
doni49

So now maybe one (or more) of those people complaining that the labels won't work will actually post a dwg file in which it didn't work?  We'll see if they really want to troubleshoot it or just complain.

EDIT: CMISTRIC must've posted the reply after I started this one.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report