Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contour Label Styles

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lbachman
720 Views, 6 Replies

Contour Label Styles

I have been trying to make two new contour label styles. I want them both to have a precision of no decimal places and each one has a different text style. I changed the Contour default label style to have one of the text styles I want. I then changed one of my new styles to have a different text style. I changed both new styles to have the precision I want but don't see how to change it in the default style. I am getting labels with the default text style (the one I set it to) no matter which style I pick and I'm getting 3 decimal places for both styles.

I'm sure it's something simple but I've spent way too much time on this. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: lbachman

Go to the Settings tab in toolspace-> down to Surface Command settings. Select the command CreateSurfCntrLabelLine and Edit the command settings. In the Default Styles category - set the Contour Label Major and Minor Styles. Those will stick when you add a label line. Not the most clear solution, but it does work. I've asked for a Set Style button on the Add Contour Label toolbar. -- James Wedding, P.E. Technology Manager Associate Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G LDT2005+C3D2005
Message 3 of 7
lbachman

James,

It seemed to work better. I don't understand why the settings aren't working like you think they would. Of course I crashed shortly after trying it and will now have to do it again.

I loved the way the corridor worked for a simple road but I will probably just export back to LDT to make the finished drawings. Labels just aren't working the way I would like. I also can't find how to get rid of the 2 decimal places on the stationing. I've made changes to the settings but it doesn't change the existing labels. I would also like a perpendicular tick but haven't found that either.

Sorry for the complaining.

Thanks a bunch for your help. Hopefully they will keep improving on what they have started.

Lisa
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Lisa, Here is a brief explanation of the way settings work in Autodesk Civil 3D. When you run the various commands there are "Command Settings" which will let you set the various default parameters (such as styles) for each of the commands. These are listed under the Commands node of each of the features in the settings manager. There are also settings which control the display of attributes in the UI. For example, let say you want to have the 2D Surface Area for a surface shown in the UI as Acres, but you want the Parcel Area in Prospector to be Sq. Ft. This is controlled via the ambient settings. Select the drawing, rt. click -> edit drawing Settings and select the Ambient Setting tab. You will find various categories for various data types. The settings on this dialog will impact the entire drawing. In order to achieve the Unit display in the previous example, you would go the Feature node in the settings and edit the Surfaces and Parcels feature settings accordingly. Now getting to your question. The settings discussed above only apply to values which appear in the UI. The Labels settings are controlled in the label style. Therefore, In order to change the precision of the Station labeling, you need to edit the label style (Major Station). Select the Layout tab and edit the Contents of the label. In the Text Component Editor you will see all the setting which apply to that label. This is where you can change the precision of the label. You can also add a Tick on the Layout Tab of the Label Style Composer. This is done by adding a Tick Component to the label. In the templates we ship, there are 2 styles you may want to look at: Perpendicular with Line and Perpendicular with Tick. Hope that helps, Daniel Philbrick Autodesk, Inc. "lbachman" wrote in message news:27351053.1103150225639.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > James, > > It seemed to work better. I don't understand why the settings aren't working like you think they would. Of course I crashed shortly after trying it and will now have to do it again. > > I loved the way the corridor worked for a simple road but I will probably just export back to LDT to make the finished drawings. Labels just aren't working the way I would like. I also can't find how to get rid of the 2 decimal places on the stationing. I've made changes to the settings but it doesn't change the existing labels. I would also like a perpendicular tick but haven't found that either. > > Sorry for the complaining. > > Thanks a bunch for your help. Hopefully they will keep improving on what they have started. > > Lisa
Message 5 of 7
lbachman

Thanks a lot Daniel,

I finally stumbled across everything yesterday and now I have a pretty good idea how the settings work. I appreciate your explanation.

I didn't find the Tick Component template but was able to add my own block. If you can explain where they are that would be good to know.

Thanks again,
Lisa
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Daniel- I'm having the same label precision problem (Civil 3d 2005), except with contour labels. The label precision seems to be stuck at 0.001. I created a new contour label style, and went to the 'layout' tab. In the text component editor I changed the precision to 1. The problem is that as soon as you hit "OK", the editor forgets what you just changed, and the precision remains at 0.001. I did go and edit the ambient settings and the command settings, but that seemed to have no effect. Am I missin' something?

Thanx, Philip.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

You have to erase the text bit that is in there, and use the big -> button
to put yours in. Simply changing the values for a new tag does not modify
existing tags.

--
James Wedding, P.E.
Technology Manager &
Associate
Jones & Boyd, Inc.
Dallas, TX
XP/2 on P4-3.4/1G
LDT2005SP1 & C3D2006

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report