Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contour label layers

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
allywhite666
1632 Views, 14 Replies

contour label layers

I would like my contour labels to be on layers other than the default C-TOPO-TEXT layer. I went to Toolspace - Settings - label styles - contour, right click "edit label styles default" box and under lables added the layer I want them to be on but it does not work. Can anyone tell me how to change the layer for my contour lables and set it up to default?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
allywhite666
in reply to: allywhite666

After more research I notice that parcel lables also do this when labeling they put the label on the layer C-ANNO and I can't find any way to change this. Going to EDITDRAWINGSETTINGS on command line brings up Drawing settings which has a tab called object layers where you can change the default layers of objects this is ok for the contour lables as I can put them all on the layer I want. But when it comes to parcle layers it uses the general segment label settings which puts it in the layer for that. There must ba a way to put diffrent line labels on diffrent layers as I dont want my parcel line text on the same layer as my other line text. Anyone know how to fix this?

Message 3 of 15
Pointdump

AW,

Try Command Settings. Thusly:

Command.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 15
SurveyorLee
in reply to: Pointdump

You also need to set it in the Master View of the Drawing Settings.

Go to Toospace-->Settings--->MasterView

Highlight the DrawingName (it should be the active drawing and bold)

Rightclick on DrawingSettings to open a new window

Select the Object Layers tab.  Scroll down and edit the base layers.

Parcels and Surface are the two you mentioned.

Hope this helps

Surveyor Lee

Message 5 of 15
allywhite666
in reply to: SurveyorLee

Thank you both for your replys.

@Dave, this does not change the layer of the text I tried it previoiusly.

@Surveyor Lee, this is what I said in my second post, it is not the best soulution as all your parcel line text will go to the same layer, but it will have to do.

I want the line text to follow the layer of the line that it is refrencing. eg. All the boundary text and lines in the same layer, if anyone else knows how to do this please let me know. 🙂

Message 6 of 15
odoshi

Ally,

The Drawing Settings -> Object Layers -> Parcel Segment Labelling is the destination of the Segment Labels. The Parcel Line Label Style also has a layer assigned. This layer is nested, and seems to control the color of the label.

I tried using the -* modifier in the drawing settings, but it only appended the site name to the label layer, not the parcel name, and certainly not the segment layer name.

The layer of the labels can be changed any time after they hit the drawing, so you could match layer props.

HTH,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 7 of 15
allywhite666
in reply to: odoshi

@Mike, thanks for the reply.

It's a bit frustrating that we have to change the layers after but I guess there is no other soultion.

Message 8 of 15
tcorey

Actually, you are just missing a feature of the software. Labels are controlled by two layers: the one you set in drawing settings and the one specified in the label style.

Say parcel labels in DWG settings are sent to anno-prcl. In one line label style you set it to Labl-prcl-bd and in the other label style you specify Labl-prcl-az. If you freeze the layer Anno-prcl, both label styles (and all other parcel label styles) turn off. If you leave Anno-prcl on but freeze Labl-prcl-bd, only labels of that style get turned off, if that's the only label style that uses the particular layer.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 9 of 15
allywhite666
in reply to: tcorey

Hello Tim,

Thank you for your reply.

When you say "freeze the layer" do you mean in the layer dialogue box?

What I am trying to accomplish is not to have the program create all these unnecessary layers, I want an option that will let me make the text on a line be on the same layer as the line. The architects we work for don't want so many layers which are just confusing them. I know that some people like lots of layers but our clients are wanting less so I have to manually change them after each label which is time consuming.

"Labels are controlled by two layers: the one you set in drawing settings and the one specified in the label style."

There is an option in label styles composer in lines for layer but this does not change it.

Message 10 of 15
Pointdump

Ally,

Read Tim's advice carefully. Unless I'm missing something, it's exactly what you need.

ParcelTextLayer.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 15
Jay_B

allywhite666 wrote:

What I am trying to accomplish is not to have the program create all these unnecessary layers, I want an option that will let me make the text on a line be on the same layer as the line. The architects we work for don't want so many layers which are just confusing them. I know that some people like lots of layers but our clients are wanting less so I have to manually change them after each label which is time consuming.

Create a Template which includes only the layers needed in your workflow.

Finding where all the layers are being used within Civil 3D is no easy task, For example, a layer is considered "In Use" if it's assigned within a Civil 3d Style.

One option is to start with the Acad.dwt but then your starting with just Layer Zero and all layers, Styles etc. must be created / imported.

The 3rd party add on Sincpac-C3D has a "Civil Styles Properties" tool which reports what layers in a dwg are being used within Civil 3D Styles.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 12 of 15
SurveyorLee
in reply to: Jay_B

Then just set the settings to a specific layer and set all of the settings to the same layer. That will put it all on one layer. 

You may want to consider w-blocking the drawing that you send to the others.  YOu should be able to wblock it and that should get all of the extraneous info such as the unused styles out of the drawing.  You may want to have a talk with them and see what they really use.  They may not need any of that in the first place.

Surveyor Lee

Message 13 of 15
allywhite666
in reply to: Pointdump

@Dave, thanks for the reply but I already tried that, see the statment just above yours "There is an option in label styles composer in lines for layer but this does not change it." and it did not change the layer, unless I am doing something else wrong.

@jay, thanks for the reply, "Create a Template which includes only the layers needed in your workflow." I already do this but as soon as you label a line autocad automaticaly creates the layer c-anno.

@Surveyor Lee, "Then just set the settings to a specific layer" yes this is what I have done but it is not a neat soloution as all text for every line goes into the same layer not the layer of the individual line.

"You may want to consider w-blocking" thanks I will try this also.

Message 14 of 15
Jay_B

allywhite666 wrote:

@jay, thanks for the reply, "Create a Template which includes only the layers needed in your workflow." I already do this but as soon as you label a line autocad automaticaly creates the layer c-anno.

Only because C3d's being told to, If layer c-anno is created when a line is labeled, then check the object layer setting for:

Settings Tab of Tool Space>Rt. Click dwg name>Drawing Settings>Object Layers>General Segment Label.

Set this default layer as desired.

The objects General Note Label, General Segment Label and Sheet all default to c-anno in OOTB dwt's.

Also verify the line label style used either uses the zero or the same layer you've specified in the Object Layers set on the

General Tab within the line label style.

Finally purge the layer c-anno from the dwt or dwg.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 15 of 15
allywhite666
in reply to: Jay_B

@Jay

Thanks for your reply, if you look further back in the thread you will see that I have mentioned both these options that you advise. Object layer in drawing settings and Line label styles > General > layer. The first option puts ALL line text into ONE specific layer not the layer of the line it is referencing. The second should do the same in theory, if you specify a single layer, but when I tried it that didn't even work. Either way they both don't solve the problem correctly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report