Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONTOUR ELEVATIONS

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
CADEngr2014
14730 Views, 11 Replies

CONTOUR ELEVATIONS

Hello,

I am using Civil 3D 2014.

I have imported contour shape files using the "MapImport" command.  The shape files come into the drawing file without issues but the properties show the shape file attribute data only, such as "CONTOURELE", while the polyline elevation is 0.0.  See attached image.  Is there a way to get the contour polyline to import and have the proper elevation assigned to the polyline and not just the shape file attribute?

Tags (1)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: CADEngr2014

yes there is - you need to perform an Alter Properties Query

http://www.thecadmasters.com/wordpress/index.php/2011/03/16/assign-elevations-to-contours-from-an-es...

and one from Murph

https://map3d.wordpress.com/2007/09/26/contours-from-shape-files-with-elevations/

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 12
kcobabe

Have your GIS person export out the contours with Z value.  Most people forget to do this when exporting a file.  Other than that you can attach the file and do a query to change the elevation to the elevation attribute.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 4 of 12
KirkNoonan

Instead of using the mapimport command, I would recommend building a surface from the shapefile. You will need to map the correct field from the shapefile to the elevation value.

GIS Surface.png

Message 5 of 12
CADEngr2014
in reply to: KirkNoonan

How do you build a surface from a shape file.  Is there a white paper on this?

Message 6 of 12
KirkNoonan

Sounds like you can't see the screen shot above.

On the Home tab of the ribbon, go to Surfaces -> Create Surface from GIS Data

Browse to and attach the shapefile with your surface data, map the elevaation attribute of the GIS data to the elevation of the surface, add a boundary, if desired, and you're done.

Creating a surface from contours should be your last resort, as it usually results in a pretty sloppy surface that doesn't match the contour data.

Message 7 of 12

Hello, I am importing shp contours as described in this thread using AutoCAD Map. 

There doesn't seem to be proper object data attached for elevations, however. Please see attachment from the properties screen in the original drawing after going through the steps provided.

After I open the new drawing, attach previous drawing with shp contours, etc. etc. and I get to the property alteration dialog box, upon opening the "Properties" box, I see a list of expressions, ELEVATION being one. There is no "Object Property" choice under the Properties heading. If I am mistaken and do not need to find the object properties box, I choose "ELEVATION" and then execute query. Message says "Query source is not available or empty". 

Am I doing something wrong or does the original drawing not provide proper object data. 

Message 8 of 12

It's been a while since I did the query method, but your elevation query needs to query the attribute in the shapefile that is actually the elevation and set the elevation of the contour to that value.. Just guessing, but that might be 'e' attribute in the capture you posted.

Message 9 of 12

Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct - the general elevation in Fort Simpson is about 170m. But this still doesn't explain why these attributes didn't transfer over correctly to the "new" drawing. From what I understand, if these elevations show up as Object Data in the original drawing, connecting to the "new" drawing and doing the query should assign those elevations to those objects. And that's not happening. Ugh.

Message 10 of 12

Liesl,

Did you hit the "Expression" Button and then "Add" the Elevation attribute to "Current Property Alterations"?

Expression.png

And when you _MAPIMPORT'ed those Contours into your Source Drawing, did you check the "Create Object Data" Radio Button?

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 12

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply! I was able to successfully jump through all these hoops (this is NOT an easy task but at least it can be done!) and the contours are now correct with their elevations.

The reason my first attempt didn't work is because I didn't have the original drawing closed when I tried to run the query in the new drawing. That is apparently a very important step.

All good now - I am super excited about learning this task as it has come up time and time again.

Message 12 of 12
christyFN55A
in reply to: neilyj666

Thank you so much for this information, I have been trying for more than a week to figure this out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report