AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor
kadeking
Message 1 of 16 (960 Views)

Construction Notes

960 Views, 15 Replies
11-16-2012 08:42 AM

I am looking for a way to create a master list of construction notes then use blocks attributes with fields to link to that master list. That way if the master list changed the note bubbles would change as well.

Sheet sets are being used with this project but I can't think of a way to make it work with the existing sheet set technology.

I would appreciate any ideas that anyone has to offer.

*Expert Elite*
LisaPohlmeyer
Message 2 of 16 (910 Views)

Re: Construction Notes

11-19-2012 08:06 AM in reply to: kadeking

My thought would be to do this the other way around.  Create the master list of notes, each note of which is an attribute. Then where you want to show that note attribute value, create a text object with a field that links to the blocks attribute value.  See attached drawing. (Rel 12)

Lisa Pohlmeyer

C3D 2012 SP4, C3D 2015
Please use "Accept as Solution" if this solved your issue.
Valued Contributor
kadeking
Message 3 of 16 (900 Views)

11-19-2012 09:07 AM in reply to: LisaPohlmeyer

Lisa,

Thanks. I should have posted that we had already looked at that option but it's pretty time consuming to create the object field links every time you add a new one, plus it would only work on the current file, with no way to work within an entire project. I'm thinking that outside of programming code, this is basically a new feature reqest.

I submitted a feature request to Autodesk that they add a tab to the Sheet Set Manager for Construction Notes or Key Notes or whatever they want to call it. You construct a list of notes, then you can right click on them from that tab to add a reference to the note on the drawing. Then if you update the list the references update.

I'd love to see this feature added to basic AutoCAD, which would of course push it up through the verticals.

Thanks for your response!

KaDe

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 4 of 16 (896 Views)

11-19-2012 09:31 AM in reply to: kadeking

Couldn't you add some custom properties to the sheet set?

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
LisaPohlmeyer
Message 5 of 16 (894 Views)

11-19-2012 09:35 AM in reply to: troma
Sure they could add custom fields that would work across the entire project, but again, that takes some up front work and I think they're wanting something that makes it a little easier to add to each sheet. I use custom fields for our sheet sets and they're included in our template, so makes it a little easier.
Lisa Pohlmeyer

C3D 2012 SP4, C3D 2015
*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 6 of 16 (891 Views)

11-19-2012 09:37 AM in reply to: LisaPohlmeyer

Yes, it's quite a bit of work on the sheet set and the notes.  But once you do the notes, you can copy paste them to all drawings.  And it achieves the stated goal: if you change a note, you can change it in one place and all drawings will update.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

*Expert Elite*
LisaPohlmeyer
Message 7 of 16 (889 Views)

11-19-2012 09:40 AM in reply to: troma
That's a great thought... I was taking the approach to individual notes.
Lisa Pohlmeyer

C3D 2012 SP4, C3D 2015
*Expert Elite*
tcorey
Message 8 of 16 (862 Views)

11-19-2012 12:59 PM in reply to: kadeking

The way I have handled this is to create a master file of Notes, and then make a View of each note.

Now I can just drag-n-drop each note onto any sheet. They are automatically xref'd, so if/when changes happen, they are updated to the sheets.

This has the added benefit of allowing me to place, on other sheets, Callouts that point to these notes. If a note's page number or view number changes, the callouts will change throughout the sheet set.

Tim Corey, Owner
Delta Engineering Systems
Redding, CA
Autodesk Authorized Value-Added Reseller
*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 9 of 16 (853 Views)

11-19-2012 02:25 PM in reply to: kadeking

Map can link drawing objects to spreadsheets and database tables. I've contemplating using it just as you are wanting to do but I've never gotten around to putting it together.

What you could do is create your callout blocks with an attribute that corresponds to the database table. Then generate links between the block attributes and the database table. From there you can display the fields from the database table in your drawings. I'm not current on Map's linked tables capabilities since 2004 so I don't know if you can make a linked table that is displayed in a drawing dynamicly update when the database table or the block attribute changes. If I can get some time I'll go through it. In the meanwhile someone might be able to offer more insight on that approach.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Valued Contributor
kadeking
Message 10 of 16 (847 Views)

11-19-2012 02:37 PM in reply to: kadeking

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful suggestions!

We'll be trying a few of these options to see what works best!

Best regards,

KaDe King

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.