Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

conflicts with using linework code set / description key sets

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Lyonstp
748 Views, 8 Replies

conflicts with using linework code set / description key sets

So i have a bunch of pipes we surveyed in the field, the linework code we were using was p01 B 10"

the "B" being "begin"

my description key set is set up as follows:

p## = Code

and

Ex Pipe $1= format

the trouble is, this works nicely for all of the inbetween shots, but for shots containing "B" and "E" it uses the B for the $1 instead of the desired 10" pipe size. How do I prevent this from happening?

We were origially using the code B p01 10" but the description keys were geting hung up on the B and not sorting the point to the desired layer.

what is the best method for coding in the field? and how do I get the 10" to show up in the label instead of the B and E

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: Lyonstp

Ex pipe $2 instead of $1. Every time there's a space, it adds another dollar.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
cbaildon001

See this post, I asked the same question.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-General/Description-Key-Set-Hide-the-Linework-Code-Se...

I didn't end up using the solution I accepted because the hassle did not seem worth it for me.

The other solution as mentioned is not to use the BEGIN code but to use string numbers and use "Automatic begin on figure prefix match".

Regards

Caleb Baildon
Senior Surveyor
Opus International Consultants Ltd
Wellington, New Zealand
Civil3D 2015 - Windows10
Message 4 of 9
mathewkol

Tim, that will work for the codes like "p01 B 10", but not "p01 10" which represents the shots in between the Begin and End codes.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 9

Would putting the B at the end of the point code work?

"p01 10 B"

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 6 of 9
mathewkol

C3D will see the 10 as a new point descriptor and attempt to draw lines with "1 as the description. It should not work.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 9
DaveM

This is an untested idea, but I think the logic should make it work.

What if instead of P for pipe you used p10 for 10" pipe p12 for 12" pipe, etc. And left the other number designations off. The key here would be to use the Begin and end codes. To start and stop the lines. The one thing I can see you would have to be conscience about would be that you would not be able to shoot two pipes with the dame diameter simultaneously.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 8 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: DaveM

you might even use 10P* but would need the desc. key for each size. This would allow multiple lines.

Edit: You may also be able to set this to be ## P* where ## is $0

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Lyonstp
in reply to: DaveM

we surveyed a piple manifold with 40+ pipes most of which were 10 and 12 inch pipes so that wouldnt work. we wound up using "p## (size) B" and "P## (size) E". This way the $1 is the size, if we were to include a $2 it would pick up the begin and end commnads.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report