Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmed Defect - Cumulative Net Volume does not reflect Reusable Cut volume.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
fcernst
853 Views, 11 Replies

Confirmed Defect - Cumulative Net Volume does not reflect Reusable Cut volume.

The Cumulative Net volume calculation is not using the Reusable Cut volume.

Capture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: fcernst

Presumably another bug in 2015?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 12
sboon
in reply to: neilyj666

Nope - this one goes all the way back to 2006.  The problem is that the software is not doing what some of the users expect that it should be doing, nor is it doing what the rather cryptic documentation in the help files claims that it is doing.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 12
neilyj666

Hmmmm.....I dont use this particular function but this would seem a glaring omission but perhaps it is doing what the programmer intended thus not a bug ( refer to masshaul diagrams - practically useless but doing what they were programmed to do)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

By Reusable Cut are you referring to the Net Cut/Fill statistic for volume surfaces? If so, what exactly is happening? I use this feature regularly to estimate cut/fill for our Client's budgetary purposes.
Message 6 of 12
fcernst
in reply to: Anonymous

...are you referring to the Net Cut/Fill statistic for volume surfaces? ..

No, this defect is the Refill Factor in the Material List:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Ah I see, I was a bit worried there for a second. I haven't actually used this tool yet, as (from the image anyway) I take it it's used more for estimation of earthworks for roads which I haven't had the need to do yet.

Thanks for the clarification! 🙂
Message 8 of 12
SmPeter

Was this issue ever resolved? I noticed yesterday that my total fill quantities weren't being reported correctly in C3D 2018. I have a site with a large amount of material that is unsuitable to be reused. I was under the impression that the cumulative volumes would not take the unsuitable material into account. When I noticed that my cut and fill values didn't add up, google brought me to your post from 2014!!

I have instead had to put a workaround in by splitting up my materials a lot more (and increasing processing time), but the fact that I didn't know that this was even an issue until yesterday means that the quantities on a couple of other bids done last year were probably incorrect. If Autodesk have no plans to fix this then they should at least let people know that it's not working as expected as it does not seem to be common knowledge. No other C3D user I spoke to was aware of this issue.

Regards,

Peter

(Old dog, new tricks!)
Message 9 of 12
sboon
in reply to: SmPeter

I was curious also, so I checked it in one of my projects.  This job includes two cut volumes, stripping and earth cut.  Normally I don't calculate them together but for this test I did.  I also modified a table style to show the Reusable volumes.

Capture1.JPG

In the second version I have adjusted the refill factor for stripping to zero.  You can see that the Reusable volume has changed to reflect this, but the Net volume is still being calculated from the Cumulative Cut and Cumulative Fill values.

Capture2.JPG

Thinking about this some more, there may be a fix available in the exported volume reports.  I'm betting that someone who knows how to edit the xsl style sheet could create one that calculates the Net Volume from the Reusable and Fill values, rather than using the number supplied by the software.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 12
SmPeter
in reply to: sboon

Thanks for taking another look.

How easy is it to edit the xml files? I would also like an option of a one line table showing the cumulative totals only of all the materials in the materials list being used, rather than listing the volumes at every sample line.

Regards,

Peter

(Old dog, new tricks!)
Message 11 of 12
sboon

I've never tried editing an XSL, but some Google and YouTube research suggests that it's not all that difficult.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 12
SmPeter
in reply to: sboon

I'll definitely have to take a look at that.

If I can't figure it out, maybe it might be a job for Sinpac !! Trying to get the company to buy it for the reporting abilities, maybe they'll add better materials tables if I ask nicely....

Regards,

Peter

(Old dog, new tricks!)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report