Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conditional Subassembly benching

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
953 Views, 4 Replies

Conditional Subassembly benching

After reading through the other posts on conditional subassemblies, I know what I want to do can be done, but I must not be doing something right.  Coming off of a flat link of 25', I need a fill slope at 2:1.   If it ties into existing before 50' vertical then nothing else needs done.  If it doesn't tie in then I need a 10' bench then back to the 2:1 slope, repeating this until it ties in.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

There seems to be a lot of questions on this subject recently.

I suspect that the problem you're having is that you want to test along the 2:1 slope.  The Conditional sub tests vertically, straight up or down at the point where it's inserted.  The best solution that I can offer is to move the test point down to the bottom of the slope.  Actually I found that for the surface I was using for the example it was better to move the test point to the outside of the bench.  In my example the dimensions are somewhat different than yours but the concept is the same.

Starting at the shoulder:

1) Test for cut.  If TRUE then use a daylight subassembly to complete the section.

2) Test for fill.  If TRUE then

3a) Test for cut at a point 5' down and 20' out from the shoulder.  This is achieved by attaching a Conditional sub, and then using the Move command to create the offset to the correct location.  If TRUE then the bench will not be required, so just attach a daylight sub which will create a fill slope less than 5' high.  Use the move command again to create another offset in the reverse direction, so that this sub will start from the shoulder.

3b) Add another Conditional sub at the same point as above, except that this one tests for fill at the offset location.  If this one is TRUE then add a sub to create the fixed height slope and the bench - I used a LinkMulti for this.  Again you need to move this sub from it's attachment point to the correct location.

4) Assuming that the assembly has completed step 3b, then you need it to repeat from step 3a.  The easiest way to do this is to select the two Conditional subs and the other two subs that were added in step 3 and use the CopySubassembly command to duplicate them, attached to the previous LinkMulti.  Keep making copies until you have enough to cover the maximum fill height that you expect to deal with.

5) Finally at the outside of the very last bench add one more daylight sub, to finish.

I've attached a copy of my example.  If it helps you then please mark this thread so that others can find this solution.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Easily accomplished with a flat 25' LinkWidth&Slope (or similar), attached to a DaylightBench with Max Fill Height set to 50' and Bench Width set to 10'. That'll do exactly what you describe.

Message 4 of 5
sboon

This solution would work better than mine if this sub is inserted after the first test for fill in my example, so that it replaces everything in steps 3 and 4 - assuming that you don't want to have benches on your cut slopes.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

What do i need to do if i need to stop the benching at 40' and place a retaining wall even if their is no surface. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report