Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computing volumes quandary

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
neilyj666
843 Views, 17 Replies

Computing volumes quandary

I have a proposed road (provided by a third party) and I'm trying to get the volume shown in the sketch below. I have 3d polylines and an EGL but can't see an easy way of deriving the point I've identified. 

The only way I can see is to take the EGL at the Land Made Available boundary and offset it at 1V:3H so that it is well above the proposed road surface and create a temp surface using the EGL at the the LMA and the offset featureline. Then create a grading along EVP1 to intersect with this new temp surface.

Any one got any better ideas??

Thanks

Neil

Volume Required.jpg

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
fcernst
in reply to: neilyj666

LinkSlopesBetweenPoints

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 18
lucy.kuhns

If you have 3D polylines representing the edge of design at elevation and the land availble limits as it rests on the surface then you can use a temporary "omit" link which will make a point that you can use as an outside connection and work the side slope inwards - use an elevation target as the edge of design (and the width will calculate automatically). Once you have that link the last link will work back to target the edge of design, and the width will automatically flex to match.

omit link and works backwards.jpg

Message 4 of 18
neilyj666
in reply to: fcernst

Not tried that as I wanted to avoid the hassle of having to create the relevant corridor objects as the fill areas are non contiguous.

I abandoned the grading idea after several lockups and am offsetting from EVP1 to create another temp surface and then finding the minimum dist between....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 18
lucy.kuhns

Guess I didn't understand your design. I ran a dummy corridor to establish the 3Dpolys and it worked out pretty clearly:

outside in targeting.JPG

Message 6 of 18
neilyj666
in reply to: lucy.kuhns

Yes that looks pretty good - probably a lot quicker than the method I'm now attempting and also doesn't use grading objects.

EESignature

Message 7 of 18
fcernst

Here's a quick mock up of my suggestion, with the Material analysis.

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 18
neilyj666

Thanks for this - I'm looking at a corridor/assemlby method for solving this now...:)

EESignature

Message 9 of 18
sboon

If the fill areas are not contiguous then you could use conditional subs to test for the presence of the 3d polyline, and have the corridor react accordingly.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 18
fcernst

If it's just the Volume you're after you can quickly apply Gaps.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 11 of 18
Joe-Bouza

Hi Lucy

I miss your web cast

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 12 of 18
lucy.kuhns
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thank you Joe - that seems like eons ago, ohh those early days of C3D. It is a whole new world now with the advent of InfraWorks - here we go again with the learning curve!

Message 13 of 18
neilyj666
in reply to: sboon

Good call on the Conditional Horizontal Target - it worked very well (not perfect but easy to sort the anomalies)

EESignature

Message 14 of 18
neilyj666

This worked very well - I tend to forget how powerful the targeting options are for corridors

EESignature

Message 15 of 18
fcernst

I'm not following the other solution. You don't need any 3D polylines to do this, nor create a dummy corridor.

How are you getting the elevation below. I thought it was unknown. My solution computes it as the intersection of the 3:1 slope, then just guessed 2% coming out from the road since you didn't specify, but you could use anything that will intersect with the 3:1. Can you show your section and assembly?

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 18
neilyj666

I was having difficulty folowing your method - not sure about the marked point or how the targets are set?

In the screendump below I have a Horiziontal target conditional sub

LinkOffsetandElevationtoLMA targets the Level of the LMA, LinkslopetoTopFill targets the elevation of the FRL earthworks at a 1:3 slope from the LMA and the LinkOffsetandElevationTietoFRL targets the position and elevation of the FRL EarthworksFinished Section.jpg

Assy.jpg

EESignature

Message 17 of 18
fcernst

I'm doing a LinkOffsetOnSurface out to the LMA boundary, then LinkSlopesBetweenPoints back to the Marked Point I put at the edge of the road.

So you do know the elevation or location of that point?

What does FRL stand for again?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 18 of 18
neilyj666

FRL = Finished Road Level

I don't know the elevation of the indicated point as it is determined from the elevation target of the FRL earthworks 3D polyline the disadvantage is that the link is pretty flat whereas your method allows for a fall away from the road.

I'll try it again when I have some time

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report