Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer specs for civil 3d 2013

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
cecjack
839 Views, 2 Replies

Computer specs for civil 3d 2013

Hello all,

Looking to get a new computer and wanted to know what kind of specs those that use civil 3d 2013 would recommend. I already have what is recommended on the the products page but it doesn't seem to be enough. Will be doing road design and alot of cross section work involving 2000 points or more. Also doing parking lot designs and other land development type work. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tcorey
in reply to: cecjack

If money's no object:

32gb RAM

1tb Solid State Drive

2gb High end graphics card

Intel Xeon Quad-core CPU

Windows 7 64-bit

As you need to start trimming cost, if you're not rendering, you can drop to a mid-range video card, drop SSD size, then drop the CPU to i7 or even i5. Drop RAM to 16gb. Lastly, drop from SSD to hard drive. If there is any way you can afford the SSD, get it. It's worth dropping RAM and CPU to keep SSD as this device makes a major difference in the speed at which AutoCAD itself loads and the speed at which drawings/xrefs/images are loaded.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 3
antoniovinci
in reply to: tcorey

tcorey wrote:

If money's no object ... 1tb Solid State Drive

Well, a 1 TB SSD (real, not hybrid) costs in Europe as 7 times than a 512 GB one...

So it could be better to buy 4x512 GB in Raid 0+1, getting a terrific boost in performances and data safety.

About graphics cards, it should be Autodesk certified: check this out.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report