Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compute Materials Query

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
neilyj666
304 Views, 5 Replies

Compute Materials Query

Trying to calculate volumes via compute materials and referring to screenshot: Am I correct in thinking that the soft clay volume can only be calculated correctly if the earthworks slope is extended to the base of soft clays? 

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jmayo-EE
in reply to: neilyj666

I am thinking the shape needs to close to compute the area then vol.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
sboon
in reply to: jmayo-EE

In this case your material section is going to have a vertical face on the left side, from the toe of earthworks slope down to the base of the soft clay.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 6
jmayo-EE
in reply to: sboon

How would you attempt to get this number Steve? I know a second corridor can be run along the daylight and extend down to the base but is there a way with one corridor?

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
sboon
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Daylight the earthworks to the top surface, then add a conditional test on both sides.  If the daylight point is above the bottom surface then add another daylight link to finish the section.  Note - you can also reverse the whole thing and daylight to the bottom surface instead.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 6
neilyj666
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

In this case your material section is going to have a vertical face on the left side, from the toe of earthworks slope down to the base of the soft clay.

The vertical face I can live with but will the software "create" this itself and thus compute the "correct" volume as the Help seems to suggest?? I would normally do this via Analyse Volumes but the added complexity of several subsurfaces prompted me to try another method (the Analyse volumes would also just "cookie cut" at the edge i.e. assumes a vertical edge).

I'm trying to avoid having to add a new breakline to the earthworks surface based on the levels found at the soft clay horizon.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report